/8here Are 7 Yoga Asanas You Should Do
When it comes to weight loss, yoga is not favoured by many as an effective workout to shed kilos. The low-impact exercise has undoubtedly gained popularity across the globe but is known mostly to increase flexibility and calm your mind. Contrary to popular belief, yoga can help to burn tons of calories and drop a considerable amount of weight. All you need to do is choose the right kind of yoga asanas and perform it correctly. Here are 7 yoga asanas that may help you lose more weight than any intense workout.
How To Lose Weight With Yoga
There are ways to make it easier to lose weight with yoga. The more vigorous your workout, the more calories you will burn.
Consider more vigorous forms of yoga.
To increase your heart rate during yoga, you can either flow from pose to pose more rapidly and fluidly, with little to no holding or rest, and/or focus your workout on asanas that engage your entire body and all major muscle groups. When more muscle mass is activated, youll torch more calories.
Warrior Ii Or Virabhadrasana Ii
Virabhadrasana II Effects:
- Increased energy and abdominal strength.
- Improved focus and concentration.
Warrior II is another variation of Virabhadrasana. It strengthens your hips and thighs. You will also build upper body strength by practicing this posture. It’s very energizing and beginner-friendly. Practice all variations of the warrior pose together for maximum benefit. Plus, it works the abdominals and the leg muscles deeply. Strong dense muscles are very good if you are looking to lose weight. More muscle fiber means more calories consumed, even when you are not working out. And practicing often builds a healthy body together with focus, and concentration. Here is how to do Warrior II or Virabhadrasana II:
Also Check: How Many Calories Burned In Power Yoga
/8bhujangasana Or Cobra Pose
Step 1: Lie on your stomach with your feet close to each other and hands stretched overhead.
Step 2: Join both your legs and rest your forehead on the ground.
Step 3: Bring your hands underneath your shoulders , keeping your elbows close to the body.
Step 4: Inhale and lift the upper half of your body.
Step 5: Exhale and hold this pose for a few breaths.
Lose Weight With Yoga
Often, we blame our genes for us being on the wrong side of the weighing scale, don’t we? But give it a second thought and you will see that a lot is in our hands. This article gives you an insight to weight loss with yoga and is for those who would like to see a new self the next time they look hopefully into the mirror.
Recommended Reading: How To Make A Yoga Mat Strap
On International Yoga Day We Bring You Some Of The Best Yoga Asanas Focussed On Getting Rid Of Excess Weight And Fat Especially Around The Belly In 10 Days
New Delhi: Yoga is considered as one of the best exercises not just for improving health and wellness, but its also an effective workout for people trying to lose weight. Combined with a healthy eating plan and good fitness routine, yoga can be a great tool to help you burn belly fat and build lean muscle in very less time – if done correctly and regularly.
Accumulating extra weight, particularly around the midriff, makes you more prone to many diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, hypertension, and obesity. Perhaps, when you do not have a toned stomach, your self-confidence is greatly affected. It also gets in the way of your regular activities, making it harder to bend down or squat to pick something from the floor. Abdominal obesity is considered a real danger when the waist measures 35 inches or more for women and 40 inches for men.
Vasishtasana Or Sage Pose
Benefits: It works extensively on the shoulder, arms and the core muscles. It also improves flexibility and sense of balance.
- Lie down on your stomach. Bend your elbows and place your palms below your shoulders
- Now tuck you toes in and push the floor to straighten your elbows such that your upper body along with your pelvis is lifted off the floor. Make sure your body is in the same alignment as it was while you were lying down
- Now slowly twist your upper body to the left as you release your left hand from the floor. Simultaneously turn your right foot to its outer edge and stack your left foot on the right foot. Don t let your hips or pelvis drop. Hold it in the same alignment as it was earlier
- Look up and stay in this position for five breaths
- Repeat the pose to the other side
Don’t Miss: Arm Balances For Beginners
Chaturanga Dandasana Or Four
Formation of posture:
- Begin with the plank posture
- As you exhale, lower your body down into half a push-up, such that the upper arms are parallel to the floor
- Your elbows must touch the sides of your ribs as you lower yourself to maintain a 90-degree angle in the crook of the elbows
- Your shoulders must be drawn in
- Your wrists and elbows must be perpendicular to the floor and your shoulders must be in line with your body
- Try to hold this asana for 10-15 seconds.
Benefits of doing Chaturanga Dandasana:
- It helps strengthen and tone the wrists, arms, abdominal muscles, core, and lower back.
- Similar to a traditional push-up, it strengthens the muscles surrounding the spine, which helps to improve posture.
- It mobilises wrists and elbows.
Can Yoga Poses Help You Lose Weight
Yoga is the perfect workout for people who want to get in shape, and its also a great way to relieve stress. However, even with all of its health benefits, not everyone agrees that yoga is the best way to lose weight.
Weight loss specialists often disagree on whether yoga poses help you slim down or not. Some believe that these poses can be used as a form of exercise and help you get healthy by burning calories and balancing your bodys hormones.
There are other experts who think that these poses can help increase metabolism and reduce belly fat, which is an important step towards weight loss success.
Also Check: How To Do Aerial Silks At Home
How Often Should You Practice Yoga To Lose Weight
When it comes to how frequently you need to be getting down to your yoga mat, we’re taking our lead from Fi Clarke, head of yoga at FLY LDN, whose approach takes into account actual real life. Hallelujah.
‘If you’re on a mission to lose weight it’s best to thinking holistically about your lifestyle â that includes stress levels, diet, alcohol consumption and work-life balance. Your yoga practice should be considered as a way to switch off, connect with yourself and give you time to gain headspace and perspective. Once your nervous system is soothed and cortisol levels are low, your body is in a much better position to organically lose weight.’
That cortisol word again, hey. Seems our nervous systems have a huge role to play in healthy and sustainable weight loss. But, if you’re already in a place where you feel ready to incorporate regular movement into your life, what’s a good benchmark to aim for?
‘My suggestion would be to practice between 3-5 times a week and within that, incorporate at least one restorative yoga practice,’ says Clarke. ‘Try to ensure you’re taking daily walks to help stay mobile and to give you time around nature, as this will also positively affect your mindset and nervous system, too.’
However, and this is good to remember â depending on what type of yoga you’re practising, your body’s ability to endure it regularly will be different.
How To Lose Weight By Yoga In 1 Month
In this one-month yoga program, we will be focusing on the basics of yoga stretching, breathing, and strengthening your body.
In this yoga guide, we will go over the basics of how to do various poses. This is not a comprehensive guide on how to master all poses in 1 month.
We will focus on the most important poses that you need to start doing right now: Sun Salutes and Tree Pose. Once youve mastered these two poses, you can move on to more advanced postures like Triangle Pose , Warrior 2 pose, or even Headstand.
Don’t Miss: Adam Levine Yoga Pose
Chaturanga Dandasana Or Plank Pose
Chaturanga Dandasana or Plank Pose
Spread your on a mat and then balance the entire body on your hand and wrist.
A plank is an excellent way to strengthen the core. It helps burn fat and increases the overall productivity of stomach, butts and thighs, opines Kutteri. It helps strengthen and tone your shoulders, back, buttocks, thighs, abs, and core. Make sure to hold the pose for at least 30 seconds.
Lower Body Yoga Poses For Weight Loss
Listed below are some of the best Yoga asanas for reducing weight in the lower portion of the body. Practicing them regularly can help you achieved toned thighs and hips. Read along to know the benefits of each and the steps to perform:
1. Sethubandhasana or Bridge Pose:
If you would like to tone your abs and thighs and strengthen your shoulders, then this is the Asana that you should be performing. The name Setu Bandhasana has been derived from the Sanskrit term Setu, which means Bridge and Bandh, which means lock and the pose is similar to bridge lock posture. It improves blood circulation in the body and promotes better digestion, making it one of the best Yoga asanas for fast weight loss.
How to Do:
- Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor and arms on either side.
- Now while exhaling, push your torso up, off the floor, such that your neck and head are flat on the floor and in line with your feet.
- Do not overexert yourself while you arch your spine in this position.
- For more flexibility, you may clasp your fingers below your arch, or grab on to your ankles from the inside.
Reduces Fat From: Hips, Abdomen and Thighs
- You must avoid doing this pose if you have had a history of neck injury or back injury.
- Pregnant women must refrain from doing this Asana, but they must, then expert guidance is a must.
2. Utkatasana Yoga Pose :
How to Do:
Reduces Fat From: Hips, Thighs and Buttocks
3. Shalabhasana :
How to Do:
Reduces Fat From: Abdomen
You May Like: How Many Calories Can You Burn Doing Yoga
Extended Side Angle Pose
One way to lose weight is by boosting your metabolism. Extended Side Angle Pose can give it thekickstart it needs.
Erin Dewar, owner of The Middle Way Yoga, describes how the asana stimulates the abdominal organs.
It also gives the legs a good stretch and helps you increase your stamina perfect if youre stepping up your exercise regime.
Upward Salute Or Urdhva Hastasana
Urdhva Hastasana Effects:
- Arms, shoulders, torso, and legs stretched.
- Strong abdominals and legs.
This is a very simple stretch. But every yogi needs to master the Upward Salute before moving on to more advanced yoga exercises for weight loss. Here is how to do Upward Salute or Urdhva Hastasana:
Don’t Miss: How Many Calories Do You Burn In Hot Power Yoga
Cobra Pose Or Bhujangasana
- A strong back and spine.
- Torso and chest stretched.
- Abdominals and buttocks strengthened.
- Less stress and fatigue.
Garudasana Yoga Or Eagle Pose For Losing Weight:
Level: Mid-level, expertise.
Workout Time: The best tie to perform this pose is either during the morning or evening on an empty stomach.
Muscles Worked: This power yoga pose helps you strengthen your ankle and calf muscles. It also allows you to stretch your shoulder, upper back, ankle, calf, hip.
- Stand erect with hands on either side of the body.
- Balance your body weight on your right leg by lifting your left leg, slightly bending your knees.
- Now wrap your left leg around your right leg.
- Raise your arms above, where your elbows are parallel to the ground.
- Twist your arms and stay in this position for 10 seconds.
- Come into the resting position and repeat ten times.
Is It Possible To Lose Weight By Practising Yoga
Short answer, yes. Regular movement and being in a nutrient-focused calorie deficit is the key to healthy weight loss and yoga can absolutely play a part in that. However, it’s a much more holistic process than just calories in calories out: ‘It creates a deeper awareness of your physical and mental state, linking the breath to the movement of the poses ,’ explains yoga teacher Alexandra Baldi, founder of Compass Chelsea.
‘This deeper awareness creates mindfulness and a greater intuition with your body, two key factors essential for weight loss whether it’s making healthier eating choices or knowing when to pull back to prevent too much cortisol in the body, a serious detriment to weight loss,’ she says.
And the science backs Baldi up: The stress hormone cortisol can be a major inhibitor to weight loss, as shown by a 2016 study of overweight women, published in the American Journal of Managed Care. The research showed that restorative sessions, or Yin yoga, can produce the same weight loss results over 12-weeks as other forms of yoga.
But how? Well, by lowering cortisol levels by regularly unwinding through a consistent yoga practice, the women were able to successfully lose body fat.
Keen to calm down? This 9-move relaxing yoga flow oughta do the trick.
Triangle Pose Or Trikonasana
- Increased flexibility of legs and spine.
- Treatment for neck, shoulders, back, and knees stiffness.
- Improved blood flow and circulation.
- Better digestion and organ function.
- The nervous system stimulated.
Read Also: Yogic Breathing For Weight Loss
Keep The Fun Factors Going
Stick to your goals and diet plan and keep yourself motivated till the goals are accomplished. With your daily yoga routine, try to include these over the weekend:
- Go on short treks outside the city with your friends. Being outdoors helps you be close to nature and gives you the required break from your yoga schedule.
- Plan a beach trip. When was the last time you walked barefoot on the white sands of the blue seas while the froth of the waves kissed your feet? Make the best of a beach trip by walking on the never-ending shores, and don’t forget to carry your yoga mat.
- Bicycle anyone? Bicycling is another outdoor activity that gives you a good workout, and with friends around, you won’t even come to know the distance you have traveled.
It’s important to be outdoors as it elevates you, gives you a required break, and helps you prepare for the coming weeks yoga routine. More importantly, these activities help you torch down calories and eventually let you excuse yourself for that slice of pizza you’ve been dying for at the end of the day.
Feeling held back due to a physical ailment? Are emotions taking a toll on your personal and work life? Fill in the form below to learn more about how yoga can aide you in overcoming issues naturally with minimum lifestyle changes.
How Many Calories Does Yoga Burn
In terms of caloric expenditure, according to Harvard Health, a 125-pound person can expect to burn about 120 calories doing Hatha yoga for 30 minutes, someone weighing 155 pounds can burn 144 calories, and someone weighing 185 pounds will burn around 168 calories for the same workout.
Although Hatha is a rather low-intensity style of yoga, these numbers are significantly lower than other common forms of exercise.
Cakories burned biking vs yoga:
For example, 30 minutes of moderate-intensity stationary biking burns about 210 calories for a 125-pound person, 252 calories for a 155-pound person, and 292 calories for a 185-pound person.
A 30-minute vigorous stationary bike workout burns approximately 315 calories for a 125-pound person, 378 calories for a 155-pound person, and 441 calories for a 185-pound person. If you weigh more than that, youll burn even more calories.
Calories burned on the elliptical vs yoga:
A 30-minute general use elliptical workout burns 270 calories for a 125-pound person, 324 calories for a 155-pound person, and 378 calories for a 185-pound person.
Calories burned running vs yoga:
Running for 30 minutes at 6mph burns 295 calories for a 125-pound person, 360 calories for a 155-pound person, and 420 calories for a 185-pound person.
Calories burned lifting weights vs running:
Finally, lifting weights also burns more calories than a typical yoga class, with a caloric expenditure of about 1.5 times that of yoga.
Don’t Miss: Power Yoga Calories Burned