How To Lose Love Handles Fast
This article was co-authored by Brendon Rearick. Brendon Rearick is a Personal Trainer, Strength Coach, Fitness Program Director, and co-founder of Certified Functional Strength Coach , a fitness education company in the San Francisco Bay Area. With 17 years of experience in the fitness industry, Brendon specializes in strength and conditioning, and his company CSFC has certified over 3,000 trainers in over 20 countries. Brendon has worked as a Program Director for Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning and earned his massage therapy license from the Cortiva Institute-Boston. Brendon holds a BS in Kinesiology from the University of Massachusetts Amherst.There are 19 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 93% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 385,076 times.
Almost everybody has a particular problem area when it comes to losing weight, so fear not — you’re definitely not alone! And although it’s difficult to “spot reduce,” losing overall body fact and toning up your core will definitely help. This guide will give you the nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle tips you need to lose fat, reduce your love handles, and feel even better about your body.
How To Lose Stubborn Love Handles
I received an email titled, “LOVE-HANDLES!! Help me lose them.”
I have been working on a routine that incorporates exercises that will help you work your love handles over time and effort. Personally, I like to work my “obliques” on days I work my legs, so I created the Legs and Love Handles workout seen below.
As with any abdominal fat-loss goal, you need to concentrate on three areas to help firm your midsection:
1. Healthy Diet
2. Cardiovascular and resistance training
3. Targeted abdominal exercises
*Note: You cannot target fat loss. Fat will be used as energy for your workouts and will be reduced after time performing cardio, resistance training and eating healthy.
As with any fitness and health goal, nutrition and exercise are always the main ingredients to success. Neither can be missing, or you will not have the energy to exercise or you will be part of the yo-yo diet crowd, buying a new diet book every year. Here is how I would break it down to get rid of those “love handles”:
1. Healthy diet
The most important factor in acquiring washboard abs is eating a healthy diet. Here is a list of recommended healthy ways to help you lose a few inches:
- Drink at least three liters of water per day
- Eat five servings of vegetables and fruits per day
- Limit fried foods and cheese
- Limit processed sugar
- Eliminate fatty red meat only lean red meats
For a food plan that was developed by a nutritionist, see “Lean Down Meal Options” .
Scroll Below To See Complete Instructions For Our Printable Pdf & Video For Our Muffin Workout
1) 6 exercises for love handles
2) Infographic with visual instructions to follow online
3) Print PDF available at the end of the infographic
4) Video demonstration for the 6 exercises
5) Advance exercises to lose love handles in 1 week!
6) Visit our fitness resource for additional printable workouts, tips & fitness accessories
7) Visit our healthy eating resource for meal plans, healthy recipes, tips & more!
Don’t Miss: How Many Calories Do You Burn During Yoga
But Remember: Consistency Is Key
Exercises to get rid of love handles are only as good as the regularity with which you do them. Stick to a consistent exercise program, and you’ll see results.
So how much exercise do you really need? The answer is: as much as you can fit into your lifestyle. Some people are able to make time for daily two-hour gym sessions, while other people can only sneak in 45 minutes on their lunch break. It’s important to make exercise work for you rather than the other way around .
As a starting point, you can aim for the U.S Department of Health and Human Services‘ recommended daily minimum, which is 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise.
Once you’re able to make that a habit, the HHS says you can reap many more benefits by getting 300 minutes of moderate-intensity or 150 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise weekly. The HHS also recommends doing strength training exercise for all the major muscle groups twice weekly.
Meet Your Calorie Deficit
There are a couple of key takeaways from this information. The first is a reminder that unless you’re hooked up to sophisticated clinical equipment, calorie burn estimates are just that estimates and are affected by a number of factors, including your body weight, percentage of body fat, hormone levels and how hard you work out.
The second is that even though yoga isn’t necessarily the biggest calorie burner out there for example, placing it roughly equal to walking means it’s easily eclipsed by activities such as running, fast dancing, pedaling an elliptical trainer, downhill skiing and playing tennis it can_,_ just like walking, be a foundational part of your weight loss efforts.
That’s because the real foundation of weight loss is creating a calorie deficit, or burning more calories than you consume. This forces your body to use stored energy usually in the form of fat to get rid of that deficit.
And even though activities like running or zipping down the ski slope might burn more calories in the short term, choosing a fitness activity you really love benefits you more in the long term. That’s because if you enjoy the exercise for its own sake, you’re more likely to keep it up and burn more cumulative calories than you’d have torched with those few grudging runs, or whatever other type of exercise you don’t like.
Read more:10 Best Yoga Poses for Beginners
Read Also: Induce Labor Yoga Ball
Using Upper Figure Ergo
In the case if you want quick results you can use this Ergometer. Buy an Ergometer at your home if you exercise center does not have one there. An Ergometer has two pedals that you turn using your hands while sitting or remaining before it. It is same as rotating bicycle handle bars.
For best results, workout on an Ergometer for about 10- 15 minutes per day.
Sparkle #1: Yoga Asanas For A Flat Stomach
Muffin top, love handles, belly fat call it by whatever name you want, but it will still generate the same emotion panic! Stomach is the most stubborn and unsightly of places to gain weight, and any fat in this area is sure to send alarm bells ringing in everyones head.
Gaining fat on your belly is also an indication that your lifestyle is going awry. While a little fluctuation in weight now and then is all right, if you start putting on weight on your stomach, it might be a good idea to pay attention to what you are eating and how you are exercising. The more your belly increases, the more you are at risk for all kinds of diseases.
While controlling your diet is the first step to losing this weight , combining it with the right exercises can yield speedier results. I feel that certain Yoga poses, when done right, can really help in loosing stomach fat.
Based on my experiments with Yoga asanas over the last 5 years, I wanted to share my list of top 10 Yoga poses which will help you lose those love handles and get a flat, firm and toned stomach. Of course, these wont work if not done right so make sure you rule out any medical concerns, practice them under the guidance of a trained teacher, breathe right and hold your breath for at least 30 seconds in each pose. Happy workout everyone!
1. Naukasana, Boat Pose
5. Virabhadrasana , Warrior Pose
9. Gomukhasana, Cow Face Pose
10. Tadasana, Mountain Pose
Read Also: How Long To Workout After Botox
What Is A Shapewear
Shapewear help you look slimmer and sleeker by cinching and compressing body fat in places where you want to. They also help with body sculpting and in smoothing out your silhouette. Shapewear should not feel uncomfortable at all, they should not feel tacky under your dress. They should give you immense confidence. There are many types of shapewears that you can find tummy tuckers, waist cinchers, corsets, thigh shaper, butt shaper, shaping camis, tanks, slips, bodysuits, smoothing, sculpting, compressing body suits, full body shapewear and a lot more. But which one would suit your body type, read on to find more tips that would help you out.
Yoga Poses To Lose Love Handles
- For Active.com
Love handles, muffin top, side handles…call it what you want, but that extra side cushion is an area many want to tighten up. So if your pants are filling a little snug and you want to lose love handles fast, test yourself and try yoga. Yoga builds core strength, sheds unnecessary fat, and develops body awareness, which helps to control your weight.
The following yoga poses target your abdominal muscles to help you lose love handles. The abdominals are made up of four major muscles: The transversus abdominis, the internal and external obliques and the rectus abdominis. These muscles work together to provide core and spine stabilization and to flex and rotate the trunk. Building abdominal strength can decrease back pain, improve posture, and shrink love handles.
Incorporate these four poses into your fitness routine to lose love handles quickly.
You May Like: Can You Workout After Getting Botox
How To Train Your Love Handles
Do 3 sets of each exercise indicated below from our workout and rest for 60 seconds between sets up to 3 times a week. These muffin top exercises will zap the fat on your love handles.
Incorporate jogging, walking or running as these exercises will accelerate burning of unwanted fat, including love handles.
Fitness alone is not enough. Work on improving your eating habits as it represents 80% of your results.
Lets get started with the workout!
Prasarita Padottanasana A: Wide
Spread your feet about 4-feet apart. The inner feet are parallel to one another with toes slightly turned inward. Press the outer edges of your feet and big toes firmly into the floor. Engage your quads by lifting them up. Bring your hands to the hips.
As you inhale, lift the chest. Then exhale and bend forward keeping length through the torso. Release your hands to floor aligning them under the shoulders. Draw the head down towards the floor or rest your crown on the floor. Keep the wrists aligned under the elbows, spread the fingers, pull the belly in, and lift your quads. Stay for five breath cycles.
Also Check: Power Yoga Calories Burned Calculator
Russian Twists With Dumbbell
Russian twists with dumbbell are one of the top exercises for love handle. The main targeted muscles of this exercise include obliques, abdominals, back, hips, core, and lats. Here are the steps to do this exercise.
- Lie down on the floor on your back with bent knees.
- Hold a dumbbell with both hands near your core and lift your upper body towards your stomach.
- Simultaneously, lift your feet above the ground to form a V shape with your upper body and thighs.
- Now twist your torso towards right side and keep the dumbbell on the floor on your waists right side.
- Repeat the same steps on both sides for 15-20 times per set.
Mountain Climbers is not only one of the most-effective workouts to get rid of love handle but also a full-body exercise. The main targeted areas of this exercise include obliques, abs, chest, hips, quadriceps, hamstrings, chest, biceps, shoulders, and triceps. Here are the steps to do this exercise correctly.
- Get down on the floor in the extended arms plank position i.e. straight body on extended arms and toes.
- Then you need to drag your right knee towards your chest. Now while returning the right leg to the initial position, do the same with your left knee.
- Make sure to keep your head, neck, back, and thighs in same line while doing so.
- Repeat these steps with both legs 20-30 times per set.
Hanging Knee Lifts
- Grab a pull-up bar firmly with both your hands above your head.
- Repeat these steps for 15-30 times per set.
Battle Rope Waves
How To Burn Belly Fat:
Over the years, bad eating habits, pregnancies, sedentary life, menopause, and many varied causes make our belly gain inches through the accumulation of abdominal fat. Love handles are usually an aesthetic issue, but in excess, they can affect our health since the accumulation of fat can alter the functioning of our body and predispose us to suffer certain diseases.
Do you want to know how to burn abdominal fat? If the answer is yes, pay attention to the following HOW TO tricks. Here we will talk about methods that will help you lose belly fat, such as reducing creams, the most effective diet to lose belly or the best exercises to burn fat.
Lets do it!
You may also be interested in: Best diet to lose belly fat.
Don’t Miss: Yin Yoga Vs Vinyasa
Be Mindful Of What You Eat
Healthy weight loss involves a balanced diet of nutrient-dense and low calorie foods.
- Fruits and vegetables. Plant foods are low in calories and high in fiber, which will keep you full for a long time. Theyre also rich in essential vitamins and minerals.
- Whole grains. Replace refined grains, like white pasta, with fiber-rich whole grains. Examples include brown rice and quinoa.
- Lean protein. Choose lean protein like seafood, poultry, lean beef, and beans.
- Healthy fats. Swap saturated fats with unsaturated fats. Good sources include avocado and olive oil.
- Whole foods. Limit or avoid processed foods, which are often high in calories.
Best Shapewears To Hide Tummy And Love Handles:
1. Triumph Solid High Rise Shapewear: This is a polyester-blend bodysuit shapewear that compresses muffin top and excess tummy fat to a good extent.
2. Maidenform Flexees Womens Fat Free Dressing Hi-Waist Boyshort: This is a 70% nylon, 30% elastane with 100% cotton lining that has targeted firm control that flattens tummy and also defines waist. This is a high-waist boy short so it creates sleekness from your waist to upper thighs. The fabric is such that it keeps you cool and dry for long hours.
3. Maidenform Flexees Womens Shapewear Waist Nipper Firm Control: This is a 79% nylon and 21% elastane that comes with a hook and eye closure. This jacquered fabric smoothes out muffin top and helps minimize waistline and midriff.
4. Spanx Two-Timing Open Bust Mid-Thigh Bodysuit: This is a reversible bodysuit with two colors in one body suit. This has 57% nylon, 43% spandex, with 100% cotton gusset.
5. Spanx Waist Cincher: This waist slimming shapewear fits comfortably while targeting the tummy area. It is made of 41% Nylon, 49% Spandex/Elastane. Lining: 82% Nylon, 18% Spandex elastane.
6. Enamor BS07 Torso Slimmer: This torso slimmer smoothes down curves and firms up the waist, back, butt, and tummy.
7. Enamor WC06 Tummy Slimmer: This is a polyamide waist cincher that starts right below the bust, covers the tummy, and slims up the hips. It claims to impart a flattering silhouette to women.
Don’t Miss: Weight Loss Hot Yoga
Calories In Vs Calories Out
Although the above-mentioned yoga asanas can really help out when trying to get rid of belly fat, ultimately your nutrition will do the biggest work. Cleaning up your diet and getting rid of processed food and excess sugar is a must, but keeping your calories below your expenditure levels is where the magic happens.
The good, old calories in vs. calories out formula still is the most effective weight-loss tool out there, as science does not lie. In order to lose weight, you need to ingest fewer calories than you burn. Its as simple as that.
Burning calories is what we all do, 24 hours a day, but with our bodies being differently built and shaped, which areas tend to lose fat first vary. Sometimes your abdominal fat goes first, sometimes it stays last, but working on building those abdominal muscles definitely helps.
Of course, our bodies arent machines, so other factors such as sleep, stress, and hormones, also play a huge role in weight loss. Its just that nutrition and fitness are a bit easier to place under our control.
Prime Your Body For Fat Loss
First thing’s first: You’re going to need more than exercise to get rid of love handles. Reducing your calorie intake and eating healthy foods is also key. The combination of exercise and diet will help you create a calorie deficit, which is crucial for fat loss.
Although losing weight depends on many factors, including genetics, your body type, sex, age, medical conditions and what medications you take, it’s largely a matter of keeping your calorie intake lower than your calorie output. Both aerobic exercise and strength training will contribute a good amount to your total daily calorie expenditure . Reducing your calorie intake will widen the gap.
While there’s no way to predict fat loss, you can get a general idea of the concept of a calorie deficit with the 3,500-calorie rule, which is, according to Nutrition.gov., a pound of fat equals 3,500 calories. Therefore, for every 3,500-calorie deficit you create, you lose a pound of fat.
If you create a daily 500-calorie deficit, theoretically, you’ll lose a pound of fat a week. If you create a 1,000-calorie daily deficit, you’ll shed two pounds a week, some of which may come from your love handles.
Read Also: Bikram Yoga Calories
Utrasana Or Camel Pose
Whether you want to get rid of love handle, double chin or belly fat, the camel pose has got your back. The back bending pose gives a fantastic stretch to your neck and lowers facial muscles. When you practice this pose, you can get a tremendous chiseled jawline which you always dream about. It helps you release some tension from your spine, and it also stimulates the nervous system. Hence you can expect a radiant glow on your face.