Right Type Of Pants For Your Yoga Practice
When it comes down to it, its all about choosing the right type of pants according to the type of Yoga you practice:
- Basic Yoga Basic Yoga involves simple transitions between poses, but nothing too fast-paced. Most pant styles will work for this type of practice.
- Active Yoga Ashtanga and Vinyasa Yoga involve a good amount of dynamic movement, so you need pants that are lightweight and versatile. Leggings are a good option for this Yoga practice, or flared-cut pants that offer good freedom of movement.
- Yin or Hatha Yoga These gentler types of Yoga dont require much in the way of movement. Opt for comfortable straight-leg pants made with soft materials and plenty of elasticity. Comfort is your priority!
- Bikram Yoga Hot yoga is going to cause you to sweat buckets, so buy pants with that in mind. If you can pull of capris, the shorter length is ideal to minimize coverage. However, loose, flowing pants are a good option to consider to reduce overheating.
Best For Petite Women: Yogipace Petite High
This cute pair of yoga pants by Yogipace is specially-designed for petite frames. They range in size from XXS to XXL and allow you to choose between two inseam lengths 23 inches or 25 inches to ensure you’ll find a pair that fits perfectly. “These are the best yoga pants ever,” raved one customer. “I have never found the perfect length being 5’1″ until now! Perfect for petites. Hits right at the ankle and I love the higher waist! Love them!”
To buy: , from $25
Alternatives To Yoga Pants
Dont want to buy Yoga pants or cant find a pair that fits you/looks good? Here are a few alternatives to Yoga pants you can consider:
- Pajama pants. As long as theyre made of cotton or synthetic fabrics , pajama pants can be a very comfortable option.
- Scrubs. Made of cotton or a cotton-polyester blend, scrubs are very lightweight and comfortable for Yoga practice.
- Long-underwear. Your athletic long johns will double as loose, comfortable leggings for more active types of Yoga. Just remember that theyre intended as underwear, so may not be the most durable choice.
- Sweatpants. Most sweatpants are made of 100% cotton, which can get soggy when wet. However, for gentler forms of Yoga, sweatpants and loungewear are a great option.
Recommended Reading: Bikram Yoga Pregnancy Postures
Yoga Pants Features To Consider
When shopping for Yoga pants, here are a few important features to consider:
Color Your color choice isnt just a style thing. Some colors tend to show sweat more visibly than others, and bright colors are more prone to fading, especially with cotton fabrics. For your Yoga pants, consider black, dark brown, dark blue, or dark green as the color choice.
Gussets A gusset is a diamond-shaped or triangular patch of cloth sewn into the crotch of your pants. This helps to reduce pressure on the pressure point in the crotch where four seams run together, thereby preventing tears and rips in the crotch of the pants. Not all Yoga pants have gussets, but for active guys, theyre a must-have feature in your Yoga pants.
Pockets Pockets are a handy feature to have if you want to carry things to and from Yoga class, but youre not likely to use them during class. Some Yoga pants have key pockets , but most pockets are full-sized. For the average guys Yoga pants, pockets dont really do more than add a convenient carrying spaceyou can take this feature or leave it.
Drawstring A drawstring can help to keep your Yoga pants firmly in place, but it can also press uncomfortably into your midsection while performing prone positions. For cotton pants, theyre highly recommended, but you may want to consider a drawstring-free design for synthetic pants.
The Right Length And Style Of Yoga Pants
Finding the right length and style of Yoga pants means taking into account your personal style and preferences. However, heres what you need to know about Yoga pants:
Length For most guys, the obvious choice is full-length pants. Full-length pants are ideal for Yoga practice in cold weather, as they provide coverage and warmth for your legs. They can also be used for other activities, as sleepwear, or loungewear. The pant-length makes them more versatile.
However, if youre an athletic man, capris are a decent option to consider. Capris end between the knee and mid-calf, usually with an inseam length between 19 and 20 inches. For hot weather practice, capris provide better ventilation for your legs, keeping you cool. For those who practice Bikram Yoga , capris can be a great choicethey offer good coverage while still allowing you to wear as little as possible.
Be warned: not all men can pull off the capris look. If youre heavier or more muscular, capris may make you look squat or top-heavy. Capris break the natural line of your leg, thus making you appear shorter. For average and short guys, full-length pants are a no-no.
Who should wear capris? Tall, lean men with runners bodies will find that form-fitting capris accentuate their calves and help them to avoid the lanky look.
Style Yoga pants for women come in all shapes and sizes, but there are three basic styles for men to consider:
Read Also: How To Wash Lululemon Yoga Mat
Best Overall: Zella Live In High Waist Leggings
A quick scroll through Nordstrom’s website will bring you an overwhelming number of yoga pants to choose from, but this pair by Zella is by far the most popular option. Besides boasting a non-slip waistband, the comfy bottoms also have moisture-wicking capabilities to keep you cool and dry. With details like this, it’s no wonder more than 7,200 shoppers have given the pants an impressive 4.5-star rating, with one customer raving, “So comfortable and supportive. I absolutely love these!”
To buy: nordstrom.com, $59
Core 10 Womens Build Your Own Yoga Pant
Core 10s innovative design allows you to build your own yoga pant to your liking, making these the most customizable option yet. Made with Core 10s exclusive fabric blend of polyester and spandex for optimal stretchiness, you can choose your own fit, waistband , pant length, and size. Amazon reviewers rave over the customizable options to find the perfect fit. One person said, These pants are amazing! I wore them all day twice without ever having to pull them up or adjust them in anyway. They were simply comfortable all day long. They are nice and soft, but also thick enough that they don’t feel revealing. And not even a hint of camel toe. Overall they are pretty much perfect!
Recommended Reading: Botox Exercise After
One Source For Tall And Petite Yoga Pants
We dont believe it should be a struggle for ladies to find tall and petite yoga pants. With firsthand knowledge, we know how exhausting the search for the right ladies gym wear can be.
At Yogipace, women tall and short who cant seem to find activewear in their size, can discover the one source for all their fitted, cute athletic outfits. We want you to look and feel fabulous while still working up a sweat!
Smaller women are no longer forced to hem their pants and taller ladies will never need to hunt down leggings with thicker inseams again. Discover tall womens athletic wear, petite gym leggings, and a full rack of snug activewear for women of both small and large stature.
Real Quick: What’s The Difference Between Yoga Pants And Leggings
The terms “yoga pants” and “leggings” are often used interchangeably and many pants fall under both categories, but they’re not actually the same thing.
- Yoga pants are typically made of soft, matte fabric as opposed to the shiny, smooth materials that are used in running tights. Their purpose is to be comfortable and easy to move around in. There are a variety of fits available in yoga pants, including looser styles like joggers, bootcut or wide leg pants, and tighter fits like yoga leggings, which are the most popular right now.
- Leggings,on the other hand, is a more general term to describe tight-fitting, stretchy pants. They can range from workout leggings to fashion leggings and are made of a variety of materials.
If you’re looking for a fun pair of yoga pants, these will add some sparkle to your look with the speckled metallic print. They come in different colors and metallic finishes so you have plenty of options, and the high waist is incredibly flattering. Just note that users say this brand runs small, so it’s best to size up if you’re in between sizes. Also keep in mind that this pick should be hand washed and laid flat to dry.
You May Like: Can Yoga Cure Thyroid Permanently
Everyday Straight Leg Yoga Pants
- y_2022, m_1, d_13, h_20
- loc_en_US, sid_P193034625, prod, sort_
Fit: Misses: 29 1/2″, Petite: 27″, Plus Size: 29 1/2″, Plus Size Petite: 27″
Material: 89% Cotton, 11% Spandex
Care: Machine wash tumble dry low
You Might Also Like
- loc_en_US, sid_P193034625, prod, sort_
Best Affordable Option: Oalka Power Flex Yoga Pants
These sleek yoga pants from Oalka prove you don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a high-quality pair of pants. The cozy bottoms boast interlock seams that won’t irritate your skin and a high-waisted fit that includes a wide tummy-control panel and a hidden key pocket in the waistband. Plus, with 23 different colors to choose from, you’re bound to find an option or two that you love. “Holy crap these are awesome! I don’t wear leggings on any kind of regular basis, and I don’t do yoga, but I wanted these as comfy travel pants and they really deliver. They’re opaque, long enough, and sturdy,” said one shopper.
To buy: , from $10
Read Also: How To Style Flare Yoga Pants
Best Yoga Shorts: Ododos High
Love the feel of yoga pants but prefer wearing shorts? Nearly 14,000 Amazon customers recommend this pair from ODODOS. The cute, high-waisted yoga shorts are made from a moisture-wicking, four-way stretch material that conforms to your body, and feature two handy outer pockets that are roomy enough to fit your smartphone. The best part? If you don’t love them after 30 days, you can return them no questions asked. “These are the best yoga shorts ever! They are lightweight, wash up easily and I absolutely love the pockets. I purchased these in many colors. Highly recommend,” said one shopper.
To buy: , from $20
Best With Pockets: Ododos Yoga Pants With Pockets
Hate carrying around your stuff as you travel or head to a workout? Opt for yoga pants that have roomy pockets, like this pair from Ododos. These high-waisted, cropped bottoms feature a four-way stretch material that contours to your body, crotch gussets for added mobility, and outer pockets for convenient storage. More than 10,000 Amazon customers are fans of the stretchy, flattering pants, with one writing, “These are the best yoga pants I have ever gotten. I LOVE the pockets! perfect place to store cell phone and keys when you are going to work out. These pants are so soft! I never expected to love these pants this much, but I absolutely do! Every time I wear them out in public, someone asks me where I got them.”
To buy: , from $22
Recommended Reading: Yoga Instructors Salary
How To Choose The Best Yoga Pants For Short Legs
- Design: As mentioned earlier, pants with boot-cut legs contour around your thighs, bringing out their slimness and flare out at the bottom, creating a streamlined design that tends to make the legs look longer and slender. The leggings style pants also tend to create a slimmer look.
- Fabric: We all know that any amount of stretching is just not enough when it comes to yoga! So, what you need is a pair of yoga pants that stretches with your every move. This is why the fabric needs to be stretchy and flexible, which doesnt restrict your motion. Go for pants with the right percentage of blended material that not only keeps you cool and dry but also allows flexible movements while exercising.
- Intelligent tailoring: Again, where flexibility is the criteria, tailoring needs to be immaculate. Choose yoga pants that are tailored with a gusseted crotch to support your complex yoga moves, bends, and stretches without you having to worry about the stitches giving away due to pressure. Therefore, gusseted yoga pants score a point over the others.
- High-waisted vs. low-waisted: Pants with a high waist not only provide better tummy control and coverage but also add the length of your torso to your legs, making you look and feel taller. In comparison, low-waisted pants make your legs look shorter and are a big no-no, especially if you dont want to be in the middle of an awkward situation while performing that forward bending asana!
Powervita Straight Leg Yoga Pant
The Powervita straight-leg yoga pants by Athleta feature a super comfortable, three-layer waistband with inner mesh lining that wont pinch you, and theyre made with a breathable, sweat-wicking fabric blend for complete flexibility. Whats more, these yoga pants have a UPF 50+ rating, meaning they offer ample sun protection. Its no wonder they have over 200 five-star reviews from shoppers.
Don’t Miss: Bootcut Shoes
Hanes Sport Womens Performance Pant
Hanes womens performance pants are a go-to option for durable yoga pants to wear during many types of workouts. Made with a flexible, quick-drying fabric blend that includes a cooling technology to wick away sweat, these sports-ready pants also feature a chafe-resistant seam, a wide, stretchy waistband, and a slightly-flared bottom hem. Reviewers love the quality of these workout pants and wear them for a wide variety of activities. These pants get it right! Wide, roomy waistband that sits flat against the tummy. Double stitching on all the seams. Reinforced gusset at the crotch, said one shopper. Smooth yet thick enough fabric to avoid embarrassmentyou can wear them home from the gym.
Choosing The Right Yoga Pants Fabric
Like with any sport or athletic activity, you need to find the right fabric for the workout. Yoga pants come in four basic fabric choices:
Cotton Cotton is the most common choice for Yoga pants, as its a natural fiber that offers excellent breathability and tends to be fairly lightweight. 100% cotton pants will feel deliciously soft on your skin, making them perfect for gentler forms of Yoga.
However, if youre going to do more active types of Yoga, you need to remember that cotton tends to absorb and retain moisture. Your cotton pants will get soggy when wet, and you could end up with serious chafing problems if you sweat heavily. Cotton also tends to retain body heat, making them too hot for Bikram Yoga. Plus, cotton is prone to fading with regular use and heavy sweating and will show sweat marks.
Verdict: Try cotton for the more relaxing, slow-paced types of Yoga.
Synthetic Synthetic fabrics are usually either nylon , polyester, or spandex . Synthetic fabrics tend to be better for heavy sweaters, as the fabric can be both moisture-wicking and quick-drying. Synthetic fabrics also retain their shape better, so theyre less likely to sag or stretch like cotton pants.
However, the downside of synthetic fabrics is that theyre not as soft as cotton, and they tend to pill . Some fabrics are very slippery, reducing traction on the ground or your Yoga mat. If you sweat a lot, the synthetic fabrics are more prone to bad odors.
Recommended Reading: How To Hang Yoga Swing
Best For Plus Sizes: Lane Bryant Control Tech Smoothing Yoga Pants
If you’re in search of a flattering and comfortable pair of plus size yoga pants, look no further than this sleek option from Lane Bryant. Made with soft and stretchy cotton fabric, the cozy pants feature a smoothing control top panel in the waistband and a stylish flared leg. They’re available in a black orwhite colorway and range in size from 10 to 28. “Love these! Nice material not too thin not too hot… fits perfectly and makes me feel comfortable going to the store or the gym! Could not be happier,” said one reviewer.
To buy: lanebryant.com, $50
Best Flare Option: Zella Barely Flare Live In High Waist Pants
Prefer bottoms with a flared leg? Check out this stylish pair from Zella. Not only are the cozy pants made from a four-way stretch material so you’ll never feel restricted, but they also have a wide compression waistband that has a hidden pocket to store your essentials. One customer called them “figure flattering” and added, “love these yoga pants. Fit perfectly and true to size. Highly recommend.”
To buy: nordstrom.com, $65
Recommended Reading: Yoga Pants Vs Tights
Best For Tall Women: Athleta Studio Flare Pant
If yoga pants always seem to look short on you, consider this pair from Athleta. Along with boasting a supportive waistband, a back pocket and super soft material, the yoga pants come in regular, petite, and tall sizes. The tall version features a 35-inch inseam which is three inches longer than a typical inseam length making them the best style for anyone with a tall frame or longer legs. “These are my favorite all-purpose comfy pants,” wrote one shopper. “They are also the perfect length and that is always a struggle for me as I am so tall. I own two pairs and can’t wait to buy another. They are a must.”
To buy: athleta.com, $89
Hard Tail Rolldown Bootleg Flare Pants
If youre in the market for fold-over yoga pants that fit great, look no further than these roll-down pants by Hard Tail. Theyre made with a soft cotton and spandex fabric blend and a slim fit that has a flared, bootcut hem on the bottom. Whats more, the foldable elastic waistband makes for a really comfortable fit. I just found my new go to brand. Super soft cotton, fits my body like a glove, said one customer. The high waist isnt too high if you want to wear it up, and not too bulky if you wear it folded over.
Read Also: Calories Burned Kenpo X