Elements Of A Great Yoga Teacher Bio
Now that you know why a yoga teacher bio is important and how it can help your students, lets get into the specific elements of a great teacher bio. There are four main points to consider including: your niche, your journey, your favorite style or pose, and your why plus a key formatting element: brevity.
How To Write A Bio That Checks All The Boxes
When it comes to writing a personal or professional bio, there are a few items that are standard to include. While a bio may not have all of these things, if any of the following apply to you, then they should be included. Use the following bullet points to write out a list of information about you. From there, you can draw info from each line item to start crafting your bio.
- Your current role
Starting with a list ensures you wont leave anything out.
Raoul Diaz De La Garza
ABOUT RAOULRaoul has been leading monthly Kirtans at davannayoga since 2009. Check our Events page for specific dates. His experience in music and the magic of music in yoga, meditation and life is immense. Raouls background includes 2 years at Beijings School of Performing Arts, PRC. and two years at UC Berkeley California, USA as well as 5 years of Private Piano Immersion in Mexico City with Piano Masters.
For the past six years he has been the director at Saraswati Multidimensional Creativity. This group explores the creative process of music and language as an expression of consciousness. Prior to his music career, Raouls creative background includes being creative director at McCann Erickson, in Mexico, Japan and Hong Kong. He spent five years prior producing, editing and assisting the director for Mandoki films in Mexico City, Mexico.
Raoul leads a meditation group twice per week in his own meditation space in Vallarta and loves to surf, practice yoga and meditate. He has performed live piano concerts in Australia, China, France, India, Japan, Lebanon, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, and the USA. He has produced six CDs of piano music composed in India, Japan and Mexico.
PHILOSOPHYThe attraction that one finds in music makes one wonder if there is a mystery hidden behind it, if there is a language of sound which could be learned. The answer is that the language of music and sound is the language of the soul. It is our inner language, the natural language of life.
Also Check: Hot Yoga For Weight Loss
Give An Inside Look Into Who You Are Outside Of Work
Everything up to this point has been focused on your professional background, so now its time to infuse more of your personality into your bio. This is the perfect opportunity for you to share what you like to do for fun.
This can either look like a:
- List of your favorite things
- Fun quiz
- List of fun facts
You can get creative with this section!
Five Minutes To A Better Blog: Make Your Blog Bio Fascinating
There are a lot of things to keep track of when you have a blog, and over time something is bound to get lost in the shuffle. But when youre the only person fanning the flames, when you leave any piece of your passion project alone for long enough, it will start to cause real problems!
Today I’m challenging you to jump in and take action: Take five minutes, right now, and make your blog better.
Are you in?
In the five minute challenge today I’m going to teach you how to update the short bio in your sites sidebar so it’s more fascinating to your ideal clients.
With a bio thats strategically written with your reader in mind, when your right people find you online your writing lights up like fireworks signaling that theyre in the right place. It immediately jumps up, greets them, and puts your best foot forward- even while you’re re-watching Wes Anderson movies, sipping on craft beer or a new cocktail creation, or coaxing the kids into bed.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Lululemon Yoga Mats
Creating Multiple Yoga Bios
Now that you have your basic bio, you might like to create different versions of it for different platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and your website. This post from Sprout Social has some great recommendations for Instagram-specific bios.
Depending on the platform, you may be able to expand on different components. For example, on your websites About page, you could dive much deeper into why you do what you do in the world. You could share a whole story about how your childhood or chronic pain or struggles with judgment led you to do the work youre doing now.
Of course, there isnt room for that on a platform like Instagram or Twitter, which is why its great to have one core bio that you can edit as needed for each platform.
When looking at your basic bio, ask yourself: What feels compelling to expand on here? Where can I tell more of my story in a way that helps my audience see who I am and connect with me?
Looking for more yoga business advice? Explore these articles from The Yoga Nomads:
What Does A Yoga Instructor Do
Yoga Instructors plan and teach yoga lessons. Yoga is an exercise and meditation technique that has become increasingly popular in recent years. Yoga Instructors are expected to exude passion and dedication for the art of yoga.
Yoga Instructors help students to increase their fitness and health by using yoga to strengthen their bodies and minds. Yoga Instructors can specialize in more than one discipline of yoga or choose to teach yoga to specific groups such as pregnant women or the elderly. Yoga Instructors can teach independently, work remotely, teach in schools, fitness centers, private practices, or rehabilitation centers.
An ideal candidate is experienced in the instruction of yoga, and has had formal teacher training in a school recognized by the Yoga Alliance or an accredited institution.
Recommended Reading: How Many Times A Week Should You Do Yoga
What I Love About Providence Vineyards Bio:
- Differentiator: Their bio explains what makes their venue space different from other venues in the area, talking about how they provide the luxuries of the city in a more relaxing setting.
- Core values: Their bio is written with the we voice because they are family-owned and thus, it is run by a team of family members who care about their clients weddings because they see them as family gatherings.
- Belief statements: In addition to their core values, the team at Providence Vineyard also ends their bio with a strong belief statement: We believe in building relationships with our clients, and our integrity and steadfast dedication is at the core of who we are.
Keep Your Yoga Teacher Bio Short
My next tip is to just keep it short, keep it really short.
No one really reads more than a paragraph. Most people just kind of want to get a sense of who you are quickly.
Two paragraphs is okay, but I dont think you should really go beyond two paragraphs and I would really work on cropping your bio down.
You want it to be short and concise. Every sentence counts.
So keep your verbs active and keep your sentence structure tight. Eliminate any run-on sentences. Spend time with your bio and start chipping away at it.
Some things you may want to include are
- your favorite yoga styles, like restorative yoga, Ashtanga yoga, Vinyasa yoga, yin yoga, prenatal yoga, trauma informed yoga, etc
- your yoga journey and how it brought you to teaching yoga
- your personal practice, if it includes asana practice, meditation, pranayama, bhakti yoga etc
- what your teaching style is, like if you use hands-on adjustments or simply cue
Then read through your bio and really think about what is absolutely necessary to get these points across and what you can cut out. Sculpt your bio like a Michelangelo sculpture and keep chipping away at it until its as short as it can possibly be.
Its easy to ramble on and talk about yourself. Its hard to craft something thats very succinct and powerful and really distills whats special about you in just five sentences.
So spend that time to craft it and make it short, because that will also ensure that people read it.
Read Also: Hot Vinyasa Calories Burned
Section Iii: What To Expect / My Classes
1st Person: For me, yoga is about the balance between strength and flexibility, exertion, and releasing. So, my classes combine both strength and mobility work in a dynamic, Vinyasa Flow style. Expect to move, sweat, and breathe.
3rd Person: Lucas approach to yoga remains ever focused on the balance between strength and flexibility, exertion, and release. His classes focus on Vinyasa Flow, and you can expect to move, sweat, and breathe.
Tips On How To Write A Trainer Bio That Brings In Clients
Reading Time: 4 minutes and 5 seconds
Your personal trainer bio page is a representation of you and your fitness brand. It provides a space for clients to find out more about you and the services you offer. But, heres the interesting part, the focus of the bio page has very little to do with you, as a fitness instructor. The bio page is all about your ideal personal training customer.
The whole point of the personal trainer bio page is to help clients decide if what you have to offer meets what they are looking for. They dont necessarily just want to read about you, they want to see if you can help them. So, the bio page is actually more of an influential spot that allows you to connect your fitness skills and services to the needs of your customers.
Here well unravel 8 tips to help you do just that!
You May Like: Whats The Difference Between Pilates And Yoga
Motivational Twitter Bio Ideas
36. Whenever you see a successful person, you only see the public glories, never the private sacrifices to reach them.
37. The person whos gonna change your life. For good.
38. Im here for respect, not for attention.
39. Success? I dont know what that word means. Im happy. But success, that goes back to what in somebodys eyes success means. For me, success is inner peace.
40. Im humble when Im victorious. Thats my style.
41. Opportunities dont happen. You create them.
42. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. So, dont raise your voice.
43. All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
44. The fault is not really in the stars. Work on yourself.
45. Collected every stone thrown at me and made myself an empire.
46. Taking small steps in being myself everyday.
Edit Ruthlessly Analyze With Free Tools And Update Constantly
Your online bio is the authoritative source on you. That means that it needs to reflect you in the best light possible. This also means that it should be kept as up to date as possible. The proper action plan for how to write a bio is never truly finished because of this.
A lengthy, well-written, and regularly updated piece of content is like search engine gold. So when you complete your initial version of the longer personal bio that you will use on your website, know that youre not finished.
As you gain more experience or perhaps shift your professional focus, include these changes in your bios. And keep asking other people that you trust to take a look at your main bios to edit them. Writing a bio is an ongoing process that you should never ignore for too long.
Read your bio aloud to yourself, use free editing tools like the Hemingway app, Slickwrite or any other number of free resources that will help you write a great bio about yourself that keeps readers interested.
Read Also: How Many Calories Does An Hour Of Yoga Burn
Twitter Bio Ideas For Men
94. Not like most guys. I lie and I accept it.
95. Dont check my grammar because my money speaks.
96. I come with an instruction manual. Handle with care.
97. The kinda perfect guy you love in your books.
98. Cant do epic shit with basic people.
99. If you want to cry, use a tissue, not your tweets.
100. I do what I want.
101. Swag is for boys, class is for men.
102. Favorite pastime: Listening to lies when I know the truth.
103. Bad boys aint no good but good boys aint no fun.
104. I dont have an attitude, I just have standards.
105. Because personality never goes out of style.
106. Black suit and messy hair. Thats how I roll.
107. Collected every stone thrown at me and made myself an empire.
108. I appreciate charisma and character, in myself and others.
109. Taking small steps in being myself every day.
110. Its never too late to be what you might have been.
111. My hobbies are breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
What Kills A Bio
If short, sweet, and relevant are bio makers, what techniques are secretly sabotaging you bio?
Here are some commonly used errors that may be the kiss of death for your bio:
Misunderstanding Your Audience
Who is reading your bio? If you cant answer that fundamental question, it will be hard to make an effective introduction. Often yoga teachers write their bio almost like a CV, listing every single training they have taken and instructor they have studied with. If your bio is meant for a client, then all of that additional information is truly not relevant. If your bio is meant for a potential employer, a resume detailing your education and experience, and video showcasing your talents may be more effective.
- Avoid this: Over decades studying yoga, Jane has developed a passion for ….
- Try this: Clients in Jane’s class benefit from her decades-long passion for ….
Remember, you are not writing this bio for other yoga teachers OR to compare yourself to other yoga teachers. Bios that seemingly one-up other yoga teachers feel negative, and lack integrity. There are more upstanding ways you highlight your specialties without tearing down others.
- Avoid this: Unlike many instructors, Jane’s approach uniquely blah blah blah.
- Try This: Jane is highly sought-after for her unique approach to
Too Much Name-Dropping
Misusing and Jumping Between First, Second and Third Person
Using the Same Bio for Every Gig
Also Check: How Many Calories Do You Burn During Bikram Yoga
What I Love About Corry Frazier Photographys Bio:
- Thought-provoking question: Instead of jumping right into her bio, Corry starts with a self-reflective question that speaks to her audiences main pain point and giving them an opportunity to take action in her title.
- Welcoming brand voice: As someone reads through Corrys bio, they will either be immediately attracted to her fun and friendly voice or look elsewhere. This is a good thing!
- Relatable background: While not everyone who comes to Corrys website will know what its like to be a military spouse, she relates her experience to others who may have experienced other hardships in their career through no fault of their own. This is a great way for Corry to connect with them on a deeper level.
Twitter Bio Quote Ideas
47. I put ces in success. Without me, life will just succ.
48. Im not always sarcastic. Sometimes, Im sleeping.
49. I try not to laugh at my jokes, but we all know Im hilarious.
50. Play it cool in this fall style thats so fresh youd never guess its been in your closet for years.
51. Life is short. Make each second count. And enjoy pumpkin spiced lattes while youre at it.
52. Life is like riding a bike: To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
53. For every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. Please find it and enjoy yourself.
54. Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
55. Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones.
56. Stay busy, stay focused, stay hungry.
57. People may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.
58. Life is always a dream for those who dream.
59. The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain.
60. Life is like a camera focus on whats important and capture the good times.
61. Always leave this world a bit better than you found it, and if you cant do great things, do small things in a great way.
62. Wherever you are in life, the future is bright.
63. Ill be over here, living my best life.
64. Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.
65. Life is short. So live, travel, adventure, and always be a student of life!
Also Check: Can Yoga Burn Calories
Keep It Focused On Your Target Audience
When writing your personal trainer bio, you may be tempted to make it all about you and your accomplishments, passions, or skills. But, you should avoid this approach at all costs.
As much as you need to provide some personal details about your background, everything else on your personal trainer bio should focus on your target client.
It should clearly demonstrate that you understand the challenges your target client is facing in an attempt to adopt an effective and safe fitness plan. Also, it should show passion and empathy.
If your personal trainer bio doesnt show the value that you will bring to your target client, there is a high chance they will look elsewhere.
Writing A Condensed Resume Or A Laundry List Of Accomplishments
Your professional biography is not a dumping ground for your career path, job titles, and qualifications. Its a tiny elevator pitch thats selling you as a credible solver of your readers problems.
So dont list every degree you have or talk about your first job out of school. Readers dont really care. They only care whether or not you have the solutions they are looking for.
What to Do Instead:
Your bio should only include details about yourself that directly relate to your intended audiences problem.
Think about your career, education, and skill set, and then carefully select the most pertinent facts that are going to impress the audience you are writing for. Like this:
Jessi tells us the most important thing about herself , and what she can do for her audience , while establishing her credibility .
Everything she mentions is designed to appeal to the audience shes trying to reach.
Don’t Miss: How Many Calories Burned Doing Yoga