What Material Do You Prefer
The material your yoga mat is made of dictates its texture, stickiness, eco-friendliness, and sponginess , and how it wears over time.
Options: Most standard yoga mats are made of PVC, otherwise known as vinyl. Newer, more earth-friendly options include natural and recycled rubber, jute, and organic cotton or natural cotton .
Basic buying guidelines: If you’re allergic to latex, avoid yoga mats made of natural rubber. If you want to stick with the tried and true sticky mat, choose a yoga mat made out of PVC, which can endure your use and abuse for more than a decade. Sponginess can vary widely with different blends of materials, but in general, PVC has the most “give” of any yoga mat material jute and cotton have the least.
Beyond these fundamentals, read on and let your other priorities texture, stickiness, and eco-friendliness be your guides.
Are Gaiam Yoga Mats Pvc
If you are new to the yoga scene and are intrigued and curious to try it out, you will first consider purchasing a yoga mat. There are a lot of yoga mats available in the market, and one of them is Gaiam Yoga mats. In this article, we will help you answer the question, Are Gaiam yoga mats PVC-free?If you are conscious of the different products that can affect our environment, especially materials made from plastics, non-biodegradable, and unrecyclable materials, Yoga mats are one of them, unfortunately. If you plan to purchase one, you must go for all-natural and recyclable materials that do not harm the environment.
Yoga mats are made from different materials, and one of the most common yoga mats is made from PVC. PVC is toxic plastic that comes from harsh chemicals. It is made with chlorine and releases toxic chemicals like dioxin into the environment. PVC materials like yoga mats are made using toxic chemicals such as lead and phthalates. These materials are usually added to PVC products to make them have soft and flexible properties. According to studies, Phthalates can be passed from a mother to her unborn child through the placenta and found in breast milk, making it a big no-no for yogi moms with newborn babies.
These are endocrine disruptors and have been found to cause a lot of problems:
Manduka Pro Yoga And Pilates Mat Black Verve 71
as of January 7, 2022 5:38 pm
- PRO YOGA MAT: Professional quality ultra-supportive 6mm thick yoga mat. Perfect for the serious yogi, Pilates, barre, or fitness aficionado. For gym, studio, or home use. Pair with one of our performance towels for extra grip during sweaty sessions
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Discover the legacy– Ultra-dense cushioning provides superior support, stability and joint protection. 6mm thick exercise mat provides cushion and support on any surface
- QUALITY MATERIAL: Beloved by teachers worldwide for nearly 20 years. Meticulously crafted in Germany, from PVC that has been certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX. Eco-Friendly, responsibly crafted in a sustainable emissions-free facility
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Our PRO series mats are built to last a lifetime. Closed-cell technology material wicks sweat and moisture, and is easy to disinfect and clean. To clean, use Manduka’s Yoga Mat Wash and Refresh and Botanical Disinfecting Cleaner
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Standard size- 71 x 26 inches, 6 mm thick Verve Color. Each mat is meticulously handmade, so sizes may vary slightly. Offered with a Lifetime Warranty when sold and shipped by Amazon
Recommended Reading: Yoga Pants 90 Cotton 10 Spandex
Bagmaya Hemp Yoga Mat Bags
Bagmaya has sustainable and ethical yoga bags and backpacks handcrafted fairly in Nepal from hemp.
Their durable waterproof Pushkar yoga mat bag is a practical way to carry your yoga mat and other accessories , whether youre heading to the neighborhood yoga studio or going on a week-long yoga retreat adventure. And, the bag features adjustable shoulder straps so that you can carry it around like a backpack or on one shoulder.
The brand also ships in plastic-free packaging and plants a tree with each order.
Hejhej has yoga straps made in Germany from organically-grown hemp, a sustainable wonder fiber that requires far less water to grow than cotton and grows very quickly. The yoga straps are sewn and packaged by people with disabilities in Germany.
In addition to sustainable production, Hejhej plants a tree for every strap sold.
Iuga Yoga Mat Non Slip Textured Surface Reversible Dual Color Eco Friendly Yoga Mat With Carrying Strap Thick Exercise & Workout Mat For Yoga Pilates And Fitness
as of January 7, 2022 5:38 pm
- Eco Friendly & SGS Certified Material: TPE is the latest technological improvement to the traditional yoga mats. It’s made of SGS certified TPE material, No latex, no PVC. Unlike other brands’ cheap & traditional PVC, NBR or EVA yoga mats.
- Grippy not Slippy: IUGA Mat has double-sided non-slip surfaces so you can perform any movement with confidence. Exclusive designed Bone pattern underside stops mat from sliding on floor. The subtly textured surface prevents hands and feet from slipping out of position so you can hold poses no matter how vigorous your practice gets.
- No Lingering Odors: Your yoga mat should not disrupt your practice while at home or at yoga class. This Natural, Eco-friendly TPE mat does not have that strong lingering smell like other mats have.
- Free Carry strap: Easy to go and store. No need to go buy a yoga carrying strap. We’ve got you covered. Because we love adding value to you and your practice.
- Lightweight, Perfect Size and Durable: – Theres no flaking, no stretching, or falling apart with our full-size yoga mats. Weighing in at 2 lbs, its perfect for travel. Most mats are either too thin or too thick. IUGA 1/4 mats are guaranteed to provide the optimal level of cushion and protection for your joints and knees while still allowing you to grip the floor for balance poses.
You May Like: Does Yoga Help In Weight Loss
Satori Concept Cork Yoga Mat
The best eco-friendly, non-toxic yoga mat
Brand: Satori Concept | Length/Width: 72 x 24 | Thickness: 4mm | Price:
The Satori Concept Yoga Mat is the best environmentally friendly yoga mat, bar none. Made with 100% sustainably-sourced rubber and cork, its also free of PVC, TPE, and other toxic substances commonly used in the making of yoga mats.
This mat is quite long at 72, which is perfect for our extra-tall yogi friends. The thickness is about average, at 4mm. This allows for maximum support, while not throwing users off balance.
Another thing we love about this eco-friendly mat is you can return it or get your money back if you arent 100% satisfied with it. Buyers do seem to be very satisfied with it, nonetheless.
This top-of-the-line eco-friendly yoga mat has everything a yogi could want excellent grip, durability, and style. Although it isnt cheap, its actually set at a reasonable price considering how eco-friendly it is.
The only complaints we could find for this yoga mat were that it was too slippery and somewhat heavy. Not too shabby for such an excellent option.
The Aimerday Yoga Mat is unique, even among other eco-friendly yoga mats. Made from natural jute and rubber, its entirely environmentally friendly and non-toxic.
At 72, this eco-friendly mat is a reasonable length for most users. The mat is also very thick, at 5mm, with plenty of cushioning for all types of workout activities.
Gaiam Yoga Mat Review
When it comes to Gaiam Yoga Mats, there are tons of options to choose from. Theyve been in the yoga product world almost the longest and chances are you have one of their products laying around the house right now.
But, are they great yoga mats or are there better alternatives?
In this Gaiam yoga mat review, we cover several of the most popular Gaiam yoga mats and give you a breakdown of what we like, what we dont like, and the alternatives we prefer.
Lets dive right in
Also Check: Can I Work Out After Botox
Gaiam Performance Cork Eco Yoga Mat 5mm
Its one of the greatest materials yogas ever met: cork. A sustainable, naturally cushioned material, cork is antimicrobial in a way that can handle your sweat yet repel germs and odor. With cork on one side and eco-friendly TPE on the other, our lightweight and durable mat may just be your new best friend.
- All-natural cork and lightweight TPE
- Closed-cell design seals out odor, bacteria
- Superior cushioning and support
- Lightweight yet durable
Professional Quality: Our performance line of professional quality products are designed by yogis, for yogis, and created to inspire mindful movement. These products are designed with care and attention to high-quality materials, thoughtful design, and durable construction. Whether for personal or professional use, these products are built to last.
Measurements: 68″L x 24″W x 5mm.
Materials: All-Natural Cork and Lightweight TPE.
Care Instructions: Yoga mats release a very strong but harmless odor when first unwrapped. Please unroll and air out your mat for 2-3 days before use. Spot clean with our yoga mat wash or damp cloth with cold water and mild detergent. Dry flat. The mat may fade and become brittle and unusable if exposed to the sun for extended periods of time. We recommend storing your mat in a mat bag when not in use.
Gaiam Yoga Mat Premium Print Reversible Extra Thick Non Slip Exercise & Fitness Mat For All Types Of Yoga Pilates & Floor Workouts Purple Lotus 6mm
$ as of January 7, 2022 5:38 pm
- Lightweight & thick yoga mat: These durable, yet lightweight exercise yoga mats are extra thick for the additional cushioning your joints need during any yoga or fitness routine
- Reversible: Yoga mat features a reversible design textured sticky non-slip surface for excellent traction and superior grip two design options to suit any mood will help to keep you motivated and focused
- Non toxic & 6p free PVC yoga mat is a healthier choice for you and the planet and free of DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP and DNOP
- Free yoga class: Yoga mat purchase includes a free bonus downloadable yoga workout to help get you started
- Dimensions: 68 inches L x 24 inches W x 6mm Thick
Recommended Reading: Toning Yoga For Beginners
Materials Used In Mass
Studies have been done looking at the materials used in yoga mats that are mass-produced in larger stores. The findings? A 2016 report from Reuters showed that the most used material was polyvinyl chloride . This is a synthetic plastic polymer that is typically used to make things like bottles and credit cards.
The main ingredient in PVC is vinyl chloride. This particular material has been listed as a Hazardous Air Pollutant by the Environmental Protection Agency . Not exactly eco-friendly is it?
It is time to turn into a new direction when it comes to purchasing a yoga mat! Dont worry. The hard part is done for you! We have gathered a beautiful list of only the best eco-friendly yoga mats available on the market.
How Do I Clean My Yoga Mat
Yoga mats usually come with suggestions of how to clean them. Depending on the kind of materials your mat is made of, the simplest and most effective way is a solution of warm soapy water to wash away the grime and microbes such as fungi and bacteria.
An effective DIY solution is to mix equal parts of vinegar and water to which you can add a dash of tea tree oil . If tea tree oil isnt a favorite, you can substitute it with any antibacterial essential oil, think eucalyptus, peppermint, or lemongrass. You can also use wipes that are gentle on your skin or special yoga mat cleaning sprays to keep it clean. If its a cloth mat, you can even pop it in the washing machine.
A helpful tip is to let your mat air dry thoroughly before you stash it for safekeeping, as bacteria can breed in moist environments. It is advised to keep mats, especially natural rubber ones, away from the sun as they can fade under harsh rays and become brittle and crumble.
You May Like: Using A Yoga Ball To Induce Labor
Heathyoga Eco Friendly Non Slip Yoga Mat Body Alignment System Sgs Certified Tpe Material
as of January 7, 2022 5:38 pm
- New Eco Friendly Material More expensive but worth it. TPE is the latest technological improvement to the traditional yoga mats. No latex, no PVC, or any heavy metal. Our mats are made of SGS certified TPE material which is non-slip, odor-less and excellent in cushioning, unlike those cheap & traditional non-green PVC, NBR or EVA yoga mats. They are truly eco-friendly, healthy.
- Body Alignment System: The alignment lines help you to focus and adjust your hands and feet to the accurate position, and keep body in proper alignment.
- Perfect Performance 6mm in thickness offers the most comfortable experience for all level yogis. Double layer structure design provides optimal grip, excellent cushioning and double-sided non-slip texture, best suitable to practice many forms of Yoga.
- Extra Large Size: 72″ x 26″ Thickness: 6mm Weight: 2.8lb . Longer and wider than regular yoga mats, ideal almost for everyone. Velcro strap and Carrying strap included.
- Specialized Yoga Brand: Being a professional yoga product manufacturer for over 10 years, we have been and still continuing to source our planet for the best materials to achieve the best yoga mats. Please visit HEATHYOGA AMAZON STORE for more product offerings!
For International Yoga Day Consider Getting These Eco
Gyms and yoga studios are the ideal places to work out but sometimes, we just want a little privacy in the comforts of our home. Yoga is one of the best workouts to do at home and there are numerous fitness apps and online workout classes to also try out.
Now, more than ever, it’s important to make sure that we’re healthy both physically and mentally. Other than continuing your daily stretches and exercise, yoga is also a great addition to keep our body fit as well as to calm our minds.
The pandemic has also affected the environment in so many ways so to ensure that we’re doing our part in being sustainable while still keeping healthy, we’re rounding up the best eco-friendly yoga matsthat are great for your next workout and for the planet.
You May Like: Ball Exercises To Induce Labor
How Often Should I Clean My Yoga Mat
Experts recommend that you ideally should clean your mat after each yoga session to get rid of the microbes that build up there, especially after a sweaty class or a slick hot yoga practice. But for most people, the frequency varies depending on a host of factors, such as the kind of yoga you practice, the intensity of your sessions, and what the brand recommends for the specific mat you are using.
Best Eco Friendly Yoga Mats 2021 Reviews
This is my favourite yoga mat and the best cork yoga mat on the list. I was a little reluctant to try a cork yoga mat I mostly do hot vinyasa yoga and sweat like a beast, so I find most yoga mats arent grippy enough, but Ive been so pleased with Scoria. Also, isnt it the most beautiful yoga mat youve ever seen?
The cork top is naturally grippy and gets grippier with moisture, meaning it actually improves with sweat. The top is smooth and comfortable to stand and kneel on. The standard thickness is 4.5 mm and they also have a 2 mm travel mat. Plus, oh my goodness it is gorgeous. I love the warm pastel desert design.
What makes it so eco-friendly? Its has a 100% natural cork top and a 100% natural rubber bottom with absolutely no TPE or PVC. The materials are also sustainably harvested and they ship with plastic-free packaging.
Also, if you are interested in purchasing one of Scorias yoga mats, dont forget to use the code TRIPPER10 for 10% off your order! > > Click here to use the code!
If you like the feel and performance of PVC / polyester yoga mats, Big Raven is your best option for an eco-friendly alternative. The yoga mat is made from a brushed microfiber suede bonded to a biodegradable, recyclable, 100% natural tree rubber base.
I also own this yoga mat currently and I love it. Its soft and smooth, but still grippy and the ends dont curl up after you unroll it.
Read Also: Exercise 12 Hours After Botox
Best Budget: Balancefrom Goyoga All
This budget-friendly Yoga mat measures 71-inches long, 24-inches wide, and is Â½-inch thick, providing practitioners with premium comfort, cushioning the spine, hips, knees, elbows, and any point of contact on hard floors. It features double-sided non-slip surfaces so users have excellent traction and can avoid unnecessary injuries. Its moisture resistant technology makes this mat easy to wash with soap and water, and it comes with easy strapping for convenient transport and storage. It also comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a 2-year warranty.
On the downside, some users complained of this mat squeaking a lot when they got sweaty and changed positions. It was also too cushy for a few reviewers because the extra cushion made it challenging to balance. Some purchasers also complained of durability issues and the mat breaking down after a few months of use.
Best Mat And Bag: Hejhej Duo
Say hejhej or hello to this lovely duo! We love the German hejhej closed-loop yoga mat made from recycled pre-consumer waste materials and the recycled PET bottle fabric bag combo. With a textured, anti-slip cushioned surface, the mat is nearly 4.5 pounds and is 0.2 inches thick. The bags are available in chalk and grey-aubergine colors, and the mats come in Rather Light and Rather Dark shades.
The bag is waterproof, with a zipper made from recycled fishing nets, while the strap doubles up as a yoga belt. The bag is carefully hand-sewn and the biodegradable hemp logo is gently affixed to the mat. Hejhej has partnered with a workplace for people with disabilities, and the package is shipped carbon neutrally.
For each mat sold, 1 is donated to the EarthChild Project. Though pricey, hejhej says its mats can last for more than a decade and the bag for even longer. Once worn out, just ship them back free of charge, and the company will recycle them for you while giving you a 15% discount on your next purchase to boot.
Read Also: Yoga Hendersonville Nc