Is It Time To Get A New Yoga Mat For Outdoor Use
Youre looking for a new yoga mat for outdoor use. What do you think? Its difficult to predict future price changes. If there are no signs of production slowing, it can be worth buying now to enjoy your investment sooner. But if output is declining and prices are predicted to rise, you might want to wait until the buzz has died down before making a choice.
Avoiding Plastic Yoga Mats
Do you know that the material of your yoga mat can affect your breathing? One of the vital parts of yoga practice is proper breathing. Plastic yoga mats have both health and environmental impact, considering that PVC is a toxic material because it has lead content and other heavy metals that make it more stable. When buried or incinerated, it releases a carcinogen called dioxin.
Avoid compromising your health with cheap, conventional mats and consider safer alternatives. Here are examples of the eco-friendly yoga mat materials:
Rubber Yoga Mats
- It is sustainably harvested from rubber trees by tapping into them to remove the sap from the barks
- Non-toxic and non-latex
Choosing The Right Yoga Mat
Your mat will accompany you on your wellness journey, finding the right one is essential. It should be based on your personal style and preferences to get the optimum benefits for your yoga practice. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced yogi who wants to upgrade a entry-level mat, here are the factors you need consider when choosing the best/most advanced yoga mat for you.
The composition of the material significantly impacts your performance. It influences the texture, sponginess, and stickiness of the surface, helping you keep a perfect balance and feel safe while doing yoga poses.
Bamboo. It is an earth-friendly option and provides ultimate support. It maintains a flat and even surface, even if you are practicing in the outdoors.
Yoga Mats To Beat The Heat
During the summer hours, outdoor yoga can be hot on the hands and feet. Enjoying an outdoor practice during the sunnier months requires a yoga mat that doesnât scorch you as you move through your flows.
It also requires a mat that can handle a few drops of sweat, if you know what I mean.
This summer, Iâve taken my practice from a hot yoga studio to the outdoor summer heat. Iâve practiced on multiple surfaces including wood, concrete, grass, sand, and vinyl using my natural rubber yoga mat to see what was best to keep things cool.
Turns out, it was changing up my mat that made the difference.
Donât get me wrong, I love using my natural rubber yoga mat, both indoors and outdoors. However, when the sun is shining down and Iâm looking for my body to benefit from the humidity and heat without redefining what a pedicure is, using a new mat is a necessity.
Out of all the yoga mats supplied by YogaAccessories, I selected these eight after a few hot summer months of trying them out:
This yoga mat is made of 100% organic cotton grown in southern and western India. The removable cover is washable, making this a nice surface for outdoor use.
Laying this mat flat, it lays nicely on top of a Mexican yoga blanket, so about the size of a toddler bed. I prefer a Thai Yoga Massage Mat for meditations and restorative yoga, but depending on the surface you place it on, itâs also great for a challenging sequence.
Also Check: Free Workout Videos On Roku
Manduka Pro Travel Yoga Mat
This foldable, rollable yoga mat was designed for travel, weighing 2.5 pounds with a thickness of a little under 0.1 inch. The mat is latex-free and made from a closed-cell vinyl that blocks moisture and bacteria buildup, according to the company. It has a special textured top layer that Manduka says provides traction without stickiness. It has an average rating of 4.4 stars from over 5,500 reviews on Google Shopping.
While it doesnt have a cushy surface to practice on, its so easy to pack and bring along that its become my saving grace when traveling and teaching virtually, Thomas said.
Is There A Difference Between A Yoga Mat And An Exercise Mat
Exercise mats are made for shock absorption during bodyweight training and for comfort during seated and supine exercises. Since youll most likely wear sports shoes, exercise mats are not so much concerned about the grip but rather the stress resistance and cushion. Thats why exercise mats are thicker than yoga mats, offer less connection to the floor, and not very practical if you want to stay in Downward Dog without slipping.
A yoga mat, on the other hand, is made for the barefoot practice. Its surface is more firm and grippy for added stability and safety.
Read Also: Amrit Kalam
Hemingweigh Yoga Mat For Outdoor And Indoor Exercise With Strap Carrier
- Our mats non-slip feature allows you to maintain perfect balance
- Its easy strapping system and lightweight feature allow less time and effort to roll and carry with you wherever you want to go.
- Designed for all shapes and sizes and also made for starters and professionals
- Enjoy the serenity of indoor yoga or reconnect with nature through outdoor yoga
- Made with soft, flexible, and nitrile rubber material to keep your mind at ease while keeping your body in the best shape.
How To Choose The Best Yoga Mat For Outdoor Use
- First, our algorithms collected as much information available about these products from trusted sources.
- We employed both Artificial Intelligence and large data volume to validate all collected information.
- Then our AI ranked them on their quality-to-price ratio using industry-standard criteria that let us pick the best Yoga Mat For Outdoor Use currently on the market!
What Is The Best Yoga Mat For Beginners
If youre just starting your yoga journey and not really invested in any other sport, Id advise buying a thicker mat . It will make the practice more comfortable and allow you to slowly build joint and muscle strength. Alignment markings can also help maintain symmetry during the practice.
But there are always exceptions to the rule. My first yoga mat was 2.5mm thick, and it felt perfectly fine. You can always get some extra padding with a yoga blanket or knee pad cushions such as this one from SukhaMat.
Read Also: How To Tie Yoga Mat Strap
Prosourcefit Classic Yoga Mat 1/8 Thick Extra Long 72
$ as of April 4, 2022 5:00 pm
- EXTRA LONG – 72L x 24W, this 6-foot-long, solid color yoga mat is great for men or any tall user, whether beginner or advanced
- SLIM FOR STABILITY – 1/8 thick for comfort on hard surfaces that allows you to maintain balance and focus during your practice
- NON-SLIP GRIP – Textured surface sticks to the floor and provides a non-slip grip for hands and feet, making yoga poses easier to hold
- LIGHTWEIGHT – Durable, lightweight, easy-to-clean, and rolls up easily for transport to the gym, studio, park, or home
- SAFE TO USE – As an environmentally-aware company, our PVC mat does not contain toxic phthalates, dioxins, furans or heavy metals
Top 8 Best Outdoor Yoga Mat In 2022
There is no definite answer as to what the best outdoor yoga mat for someone is, as this varies depending on the persons individual needs and preferences. However, some complex academic jargon that could be used to describe what makes a product the best for someone is its ability to fulfill their specific requirements or fulfill a need that they may have. Another factor that could contribute to a product being the best for someone is its ability to meet their expectations in terms of quality, value, and performance.In this article, I will give you the list of best outdoor yoga mat that I think are the best ones for you.Our team has put together a list of the best outdoor yoga mat based on their details review and others parameter. .
Read Also: Yoga For Labor Induction
Yoga Mat Thickness And Weight
Yoga mats range from super thin and compact travel styles that weigh a mere 2 lbs. to cushy quarter-inch beasts that weigh up to 7 lbs.
If youre not sure where to start, choose a mat thats about 1/8-in. thick , a pretty standard thickness. These mats are excellent for those in a strong, flowing practice. They allow solid contact with the floor, which helps with stability during a variety of poses. Compared to thicker mats, they are also less likely to catch and get in your way when you flow from pose to pose.
Thinner mats can help increase stability for styles of yoga with more active poses or balanced, focused poses. Look for mats with textured surfaces to maintain better grip when the poses get more strenuous.
Thicker mats provide extra cushioning and are best for more therapeutic practices. If you enjoy restorative yoga, a style with fewer poses that you hold longer, for example, you may prefer a softer, more cushioned mat. Thicker mats are also more comfortable for forearm and kneeling poses and for yogis with tender knees or achy joints. But they can be more difficult to balance on during standing poses.
If your yoga plans include air travel, look for a travel mat thats specifically designed for portability. Travel mats are very thin and light and pack down smaller than traditional mats, so theyre easy to take along in your luggage. Keep in mind that you will sacrifice some cushioning with a travel mat.
Natural Rubber Yoga Mats
Natural rubber yoga mats are an eco-conscious substitute for PVC or synthetics . The material is non-toxic, biodegradable, and fairly durable .
Generally, natural rubber mats provide a good grip and a fair amount of cushion.
On the other hand, expect a funny smell upon opening. Rubber yoga mats are also on a heavier side and may take a longer time to dry after cleaning.
- needs to dry before you roll it up
- cheaper cork mats tend to chip & flake
Cork yoga mats are antimicrobial and perfect for yogis with sweaty palms.
Also Check: Workout Apps On Roku
How To Shop For A Yoga Mat
A yoga mat may not seem super complex, but theres a lot to consider before buying one. And most of it comes down to your yoga habits, personal preference, safety and comfort. We consulted Gustavo Padron, a Texas-based teacher of yoga and meditation, and New York City-based yoga, meditation and fitness instructor Kendra Thomas they told us anyone in the market for a yoga mat should ask themselves some questions before shopping: Will you need a sweatproof mat with a stable grip? A long-lasting mat? Extra cushioning?
Yoga mats can be very different from one another, and youre not necessarily going to do the same kind of workout every time or even be in the same mindset from session to session.
Hemingweigh Yoga Mat For Outdoor And Indoor Exercise With Strap Carrier High Density Thick Foam
- Thoroughly engineered to support all types of yoga routines Our mats non slip feature allows you to maintain perfect balance Prevents sprains and fractures due to falling Anti tear allows durability for Vinsaya and other active yoga forms
- Carry anywhere yoga mat Bring our mat to the studio or use it when you want to stay at home Its easy strapping system and lightweight feature allows less time and effort to roll and carry with you wherever you want to go Ideal for any setting
- Made for everyone Designed for all shapes and sizes Made for starters and professionals Ensures the comfort of adults, teens, and kids alike Enjoy the serenity of indoor yoga or reconnect with nature through outdoor yoga The yoga life is for al
- Long enough for stretching Wide enough for movement Great for Ashtanga yoga and even Hatha yoga No more yoga poses off the mat as you find comfort in our 1 inch thick yoga mat Created to last for a very long time
- Eco friendly and easy to clean Made with soft, flexible, and non toxic nitrile rubber material to keep your mind at ease while keeping your body in the best shape The smart choice for nature caring yogis like you
Also Check: Average Calories Burned In Hot Yoga
Prana Belize Printed Xtra Lite
The Stow-and-Go Mat
I tend to get claustrophobic in yoga classes, so I started doing backcountry yoga a few years ago, stashing a mat in my running pack and finding a flat spot on a mountaintop to practice. In exchange for fresh air and expansive views, I tolerated pebbles under my palms during upward dog. Pranas featherweight reversible 1.5mm mat is the super-stowable solution. At 2.6 pounds, it rolls to 2.5 inches in diameter or folds to 9×12 inches, making it easy to lash onto your back for outdoor vinyasanas and providing just enough cushion between you and the ground. Bonus: The multicolor pattern resembles a kilim rug and hides dirt just as smartly. Small enough to stow in your carry-on as the perfect antidote to business travel.
Best Yoga Mats To Elevate Your Yoga Practice
- Publish date: Apr 1, 2022
The products featured in this article have been independently reviewed. When you buy something through the retail links on this page, we may earn commission at no cost to you, the reader. The Sports Illustrated editorial team is not involved in the creation of this content.
Read Also: How To Carry Yoga Mat Without Strap
Manduka Equa Yoga Mat Towel
- ABSORBENT YOGA TOWEL: Mandukas eQua yoga towel is made from a soft suede-like microfiber fabric, which is ultra-absorbent, exceptionally durable and incredibly quick drying for a slip-free yoga experience.
- VERSATILE PERFORMANCE: Designed with yoga in mind and easily transitions to a beach, surf, travel, gym or workout towel.
- YOGA SUPPORT: Adding a yoga towel to your practice can help improve postures and flow, and keep your balance and grip during sweaty sessions.
- PREMIUM MATERIAL: eQuas microfiber fabric is a recyclable synthetic material, engineered for performance & durability.
- PRODUCT DETAILS: 72 Inches long .
A Guide On How To Buy Best Outdoor Yoga Mat
Yoga is a great practice that can help you improve your muscle strength, flexibility, and vitality. It is therefore essential for you to pick a suitable mat that will help you in your exercises. Here are some factors that you need to put into consideration before selecting the yoga mat.
An important thing to consider before buying best yoga mat for men and ancheer indoor cycling bike is its width. A thin mat can be too hard on your knees and joints. Therefore when purchasing a mat, ensure you pay close attention to its thickness. You should always go for best travel yoga mats with ½ inches as they will offer you good cushioning when exercising.
A good mat should be made of eco-friendly material. Always ensure the mat that you are selecting is made of PVC, rubber, natural cotton, and jute since they are good in durability, stickiness, and comfort. These materials will offer you a good surface for training and will not react with your skin.
Texture of Best Outdoor Yoga Mat
This is an essential feature as it will help in alignment and balance, thus preventing you from slipping. It is, therefore, necessary to find a texture that will suit your needs. Mats with raised surfaces will be essential as they will add more grips to your mat.
Quality and Durability
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Your Yoga Mat Lululemon
Heathyoga Tpe Body Alignment System Yoga Mat
This eco-friendly TPE mat was designed with new yogis in mind. It has a special pattern with a firm grip embossed on the bottom of the mat to make sure you’re secure during your whole practice. The mat is tear-resistant and 6mm thick, providing a comfortable cushion for all forms of yoga. It also includes a body alignment system design across the mat, intended to help you focus and keep your body in proper form during your yoga session.
Reviews for this mat show that buyers love its style and durability. Some buyers mentioned that upon opening the mat, an off-gassing smell is released, but it disappears after a few days. Many appreciate how the nonslip surface delivers on its promise, even during their sweatiest hot yoga sessions.