Plank Pose Yoga For Belly Fat
Plank is another foundational pose that works the entire body by engaging the arms, legs, back, and core muscles.
This pose helps improve posture and builds strength, focus, and discipline.
How to do it:
- Come into a push-up position. If you experience discomfort in your wrists, move them forward slightly so they are not directly stacked underneath your shoulders.
- Spread your fingers and grip your mat. Reach the crown of your head forward and keep the back of the neck long. Pull the belly button in and up, and aim to maintain the natural curves of the spine.
- Keep your legs active by lifting your kneecaps and feel as though your heels are pushing back into an imaginary wall behind you.
- Hold your plank for as long as you can, keeping your breath steady. Release with an exhale, lowering all the down to your mat.
Beginners tip: practice plank on your knees, keeping the same alignment of the spine and core activation.
Side Plank Pose Yoga To Reduce Belly Fat
This variation of plank tones the core, especially the abdominal obliques.
Youll also strengthen your arms, legs, back, and side body, while the chest and shoulders open.
How to do it:
- Begin in plank pose. Ground down into your right hand and start to open your body to the left, rolling both heels to the right. Stack your left foot on top of your right.
- Extend your left hand to the sky while pressing down into your right hand. Keep the legs active by squeezing them together.
- Activate your entire core to stabilize your torso, especially lifting from your right obliques to keep your hips lifted.
- Stay for at least five breaths before coming back to plank and releasing. Repeat posture on the left side.
Beginners tip: try a modified Side Plank by bending your bottom leg so that your shin is parallel with the long side of your mat.
This will give you extra balance and support while your core and obliques work to keep your torso lifted.
How Often Should You Do Yoga To Lose Weight
Practice yoga as often as possible in order to lose weight. You can do a more active, intense practice at least three to five times per week for at least one hour.
On the other days, balance out your practice with a more relaxing, gentle class. Hatha, yin, and restorative yoga classes are great options.
If youre a beginner, start slowly and gradually build up your practice. This allows you to build up your strength and flexibility and prevent injuries. If you dont have time for a full class on certain days, do a self-practice for at least 20 minutes. Allow yourself one full day of rest each week.
Combine your yoga practice with activities such as walking, cycling, or swimming for added cardiovascular benefits.
As part of your routine, avoid weighing yourself directly after a yoga class, especially if its a hot yoga class, since you may lose water weight during the class. Instead, weigh yourself at the same time each day.
Here are a few yoga poses you can do at home if you dont have time for a full session.
You May Like: Heated Vinyasa Yoga Calories Burned
The Best Yoga For Reducing Belly Fat
Belly fat is one of the most common weight gain woes. Here are 5 yoga asanas that can help you shed that stubborn belly fat.
Unhealthy eating habits, monotonous lifestyle lack of exercise, and high-stress levels are all reasons for that pot belly. The wider your abdomen gets, the higher the level of risk!
There are no shortcuts to getting rid of abdominal fat but a proper diet with a good fitness routine can help reduce belly fat to a large extent. If you dont want to hit the gym then yoga is always an option. It not only helps decrease abdominal fat but also allows your body and mind to feel rejuvenated.
/13what Are The Benefits Of Doing Yoga Regularly
Yoga poses are also made of helpful breathing exercises which work to correct your metabolism, regulate blood flow and rejuvenate functioning.
Along with weight loss, yoga also helps to relieve stress, which is one of the main causes of weight gain. When practiced regularly, it leaves you feeling relaxed, fresh and focused. Yoga brings your mind, body and breath in harmony, thereby eliminating stress from your life.
Here are 10 easy yoga asanas that you can do anywhere anytime and lose weight: These yoga poses can be excellent for anyone looking to get back in shape. From fat loss, building endurance, making you more flexible, regular yoga sessions will do your body a whole lot of good.
Don’t Miss: How Many Calories Burned In One Hour Of Hot Yoga
Reduce Belly Fat With These Yoga Poses
Sedentary work, lack of exercise, unhealthy food habits and stress contribute to a wider waist, flabby tummy and higher level of health problems. Its hard to get rid of the stubborn belly fat. Sometimes, even after maintaining a healthy lifestyle and working out daily, the belly fat refuses to budge. You need to switch to healthy food without any junks and practice yoga along with your exercises to reduce the tummy fat and get a flat belly. Yoga will help you to reduce the belly fat and take control of your body. It will also boost your metabolism and help you maintain that sexy midsection. Yoga will help relieve stress and enhance flexibility. It will engage you abdomen muscles more efficiently than any other core exercises. Read on to know the most effective yoga poses/asanas to sculpt your abs. Also Read – Face Yoga: Make Your Face Look Sharper By Trying These Facial Exercises Using Spoons | Watch Video
Warrior Pose Or Virabhadrasana
Avoid practising this yoga if you have any spinal ailments, heart conditions or high blood pressure, or knee pain as it is an arduous exercise.Traditionally there are 3 variations of Virabhadrasana. For the first, start with standing straight with feet four to five feet apart. Raise arms above your head and join palms. As you exhale, turn right foot 90 degree outwards turn left foot 45-60 degree inwards, to the right. Keep the right heel aligned with the left wheel arch. Next, rotate torso to the right while keeping arms straight. As you exhale, bend your right knee bringing the thigh parallel and shin perpendicular to the floor. Keep left leg stretched out and the knee tightened throughout. Bend face back to look at the joined palms. Hold the position for about 10-30 seconds, taking long, deep breaths. Return to starting position and repeat steps on the other side.
Tip: Avoid holding the pose for too long or you could end up straining or injuring muscles.
Don’t Miss: Bikram Yoga Pregnancy Postures
Which Yoga Is Best For Belly Fat
Different types of yoga can help you hit different weight loss goals.
For example, fast and flowing yoga styles such as Vinyasa will increase your heart rate and help you burn more calories – an important factor for successful weight loss.
Ashtanga yoga, for example, most likely won’t get your heart rate up but it will help you gain muscle to burn more calories in the future – it’s a great so-called metabolic booster.
Restorative or Yin yoga are both excellent to release, relax, and de-stress.
Try these 8 power yoga moves to burn more calories and lose weight.
Can You Lose Belly Fat With Yoga
Yes, research shows that yoga can help you burn fat, lose weight, and get more muscle definition.
Physically intensive yoga styles such as Ashtanga, Vinyasa, and Power will help you burn calories and build muscle mass to burn even more calories while you’re not working out.
Yoga is also an effective way to reduce stress, which is an important player in how and where our bodies stores fat. Researchers assume that high cortisol levels are responsible for the increased belly fat which just doesn’t want to go away.
Interestingly, you don’t necessarily need to sweat it out on your mat to tone your belly. One study has also shown that Restorative yoga, where the focus is placed on relaxation and breathing rather than physical postures, has helped overweight women to shed weight, including belly fat.
Lastly, yoga increases mindfulness and body awareness. This, in turn, can help you understand your body’s cues better and respond to those cues accordingly, reducing the incidence of binge-eating or mindless snacking.
To be successful in losing weight and reducing belly fat, you must supplement your yoga routine with significant work in your kitchen. Diet is key to losing weight and burning fat, especially abdominal fat that is often the last one to melt.
Keep In Mind:
Recommended Reading: Flying Pigeon Pose Yoga
Downward Facing Dog Pose
Let us look at the first asana of yoga to reduce belly fat. To do this pose, lie on your stomach on the floor or yoga mat.
Now slowly lift your body on all four limbs and bring your hands and feet close to each other to acquire the Mountain-like structure.
Now you have to hold the pose for some time. When you are performing this pose, you can actually feel your belly area undergoing compression which in real aids weight loss.
Doing this pose helps increase bone density and helps you get rid of fatigue.
This pose also stretches the body and helps you get rid of stiffness and pain, along with increasing the blood circulation in the body.
Boat Pose Or Navasana
The navasana is a popular exercise that strengthens abdominal muscles and helps develop six-pack abs. It is a hard exercise though, so if you’re a beginner, start with simple ones and pick this up later.To practise, start with sitting on the floor. Keep legs straight in front of you with knees bent. Lean back a bit as you gradually lift your legs up in the air. Stretch your arms in front of you at shoulder height. Engage your abdominal muscles and feel your spine stretch. Hold this pose for as long as you can. Return to starting position, and rest for some seconds before repeating.
Tip:Progress to this yoga to reduce belly fat once you perfect the easier exercises.
Read Also: Yoga Moves To Avoid When Pregnant
Sethu Bandha Sarvangasana Bridge Pose
Yet another asana with multiple benefits is the Sethu Bandha Sarvangasana or Bridge pose. It is excellent for glutes, thyroid as well as weight loss. The Bridge pose improves muscle tone, digestion, regulates hormones, and improves thyroid levels. It also strengthens your back muscles and reduces back pain.
Cobra Pose Yoga To Reduce Belly Fat
In the Cobra pose, you will strengthen your back, arms, and glutes, while feeling a stretch of your chest, shoulders, and the front of your torso.
This posture opens up the lungs to help you breathe easier to reduce stress.
It also stimulates the abdominal organs, making this a great posture to help reduce belly fat.
How to do it:
- Begin by lying face down on your yoga mat. Bring your hands directly underneath your shoulders.
- Use the muscles of your upper back to lift your upper torso, drawing your sternum forward through your hands. Press into your hands, keeping your elbows close to your sides, and draw your shoulder blades together.
- Press the tops of your feet into your yoga mat. Engage your glutes and lift your kneecaps to activate your quads. Reach the crown of your head up and forwards to continue lengthening the spine.
- Stay in the posture for a few breaths and release yourself gently back to your mat with an exhale.
You May Like: Yoga Poses To Avoid With Osteoporosis
Yoga Asanas To Get Rid Of Belly Fat
1.Downward facing Dog Pose
This is #Pose1 in yoga asanas to get rid of belly fat. In order to do this pose, lie on your stomach on the floor or yoga mat. Slowly lift your body on all fours and bring your hands and feet close to each other to get the Mountain-like structure. Hold the pose for a while. When you do this pose you can feel your belly region getting compressed thus accelerating weight loss.
It helps increase bone density and relieves tiredness. This pose stretches the body and helps get rid of stiffness and pain, as well as increases the blood circulation.
2. Hand-under-foot Pose
This is #Pose2 in yoga asanas to get rid of belly fat. To do this, first you need to exhale and take a deep breath in. Then slowly bend your body forward and put your hands under your respective foot. Your nose should touch the knees and hold the pose for a while. You may not attain the perfect pose on the first go but dont give up and bend your body as much as you can. This pose puts immense pressure on your belly fat and helps in reducing it.
-This pose helps in digestion. It also helps in getting a beautiful hair. Apart from these it helps relieve stress, exhaustion and improve digestion.
3. Chair Pose
-It helps in strengthening and toning the torso, thigh and calf muscles. It strengthens the heart, diaphragm and abdominal organs.
4. Sun Salutation
5. Seated-forward-bend Pose
6. Gas-releasing Pose
7. Boat Pose
8. Warrior Pose I
9. Warrior Pose II
10. Bow Pose
11. Bridge Pose
Yoga Tips To Reduce Lower Belly Fats
Busy lifestyle, unhealthy eating routines, lack of exercise, and unchecked stress levels are primary causes for the increase in the waistline.
There are no shortcuts. You need a sattvic balanced diet, healthy routines, recreation and regular exercise to reduce belly fats to a large extent. Try to balance these four fundamental aspects of good health.
Yoga is a holistic solution to providing complete care. Some quick yoga tips and tricks to reduce the lower belly fats.
Ahar or Diet
Its the rainy season so avoid eating outside and unhygienic foods. Diseases such as dysentery, common cold and cough, asthma, arthritis, nasal infections, digestion problems and skin allergies are common during monsoon season.
- Eat more of whole grains, barley, pulses soups, curd, buttermilk, citrus fruits, honey etc.
- Increase intake of Ginger, fennel seeds and black pepper to improve digestion naturally through foods
- Increase the uptake of fibre in your daily diet.
- Green leafy vegetables to avoid or clean them properly before use because they tend to contain more muck, dirt and soil than usual. Boil or steam the green leafy vegetables before consumption.
- Dont consume frozen foods, ice-creams, fast foods, refined, roadside pakodas and processed foods.
- Most important eat on time with complete awareness.
Vihar or Recreation
Recommended Reading: What’s The Difference Between Yoga Pants And Leggings
Yoga For Belly Fat And Healthy Eating
Dietary choices are also a huge factor in maintaining a flat stomach.
Experts agree that eating too many sugary and fatty foods, as well as impulsive eating all, contribute to putting on extra weight.
Furthermore, high levels of stress and anxiety often lead to distracted snacking. Before we know it, our jeans might be a little bit harder to button!
People who keep a regular yoga practice often find themselves making better choices when it comes to their diet and eating habits.
This includes not only the actual foods they eat but also eating in a mindful way.
Yoga helps increase the presence of mind and body awareness.
This means you will be more likely to eat only when youre actually hungry, and to stop eating when you feel full.
Mindful eating is one of the most effective ways to avoid putting on extra weight or to lose any lingering fat.
Yoga is one of the best tools for developing a healthier relationship to food .
Also check out: 29 Foods That Burn Belly Fat
Chakrasana Or Wheel Pose
Formation of the posture:
- Lie down on your back
- Fold your legs at your knees and ensure that your feet are placed firmly on the floor
- Bend your arms at the elbows with your palms facing the sky. Rotate your arms at the shoulders and place your palms on the floor on either side beside your head
- Inhale, put pressure on your palms and legs and lift your entire body up to form an arch
- Relax your neck and allow your head to fall gently behind.
Benefits of doing Chakrasana:
- It reduces the fat in the abdominal area and tones the digestive and reproductive organs.
- It strengthens the muscles of the hands and the legs.
- The chest expands and the lungs get more oxygen.
- It reduces stress and tension levels in the body and the eyesight becomes sharp.
- This asana also helps to strengthen the back and increases the elasticity of the spine.
- It stimulates the endocrine glands and maintains body metabolism at an optimal level.
- It stimulates the processes of the liver, spleen, and kidneys.
- It enhances the purification and circulation of blood and gives peace and clarity of thoughts and removes tiredness.
You May Like: Is Hot Yoga Ok During Pregnancy
Chaturanga Dandasana Or Four
Formation of posture:
- Begin with the plank posture
- As you exhale, lower your body down into half a push-up, such that the upper arms are parallel to the floor
- Your elbows must touch the sides of your ribs as you lower yourself to maintain a 90-degree angle in the crook of the elbows
- Your shoulders must be drawn in
- Your wrists and elbows must be perpendicular to the floor and your shoulders must be in line with your body
- Try to hold this asana for 10-15 seconds.
Benefits of doing Chaturanga Dandasana:
- It helps strengthen and tone the wrists, arms, abdominal muscles, core, and lower back.
- Similar to a traditional push-up, it strengthens the muscles surrounding the spine, which helps to improve posture.
- It mobilises wrists and elbows.