Manduka Begin Yoga Mat Premium 5mm Thick Yoga Mat With Alignment Stripe Beginner Mat In Multiple Colors
- 100% Natural Tree Rubber
- THE BEGIN MAT: A comfortably cushioned, beginner-focused yoga mat that encourages confidence from the ground up. Reversible and lightweight design features an alignment stripe to help guide poses. 5 mm thick for premium comfort and support
- DAILY YOGA: Designed to provide the best start to any yoga practice. Use for yoga, meditation, Pilates, barre, or daily exercise or fitness. Suitable for use at home, outdoors, or in the studio. Reversible dual-color design to suit your style or mood
- UNMATCHED SUPPORT: High-density, closed-cell surface prevents sweat and moisture from seeping into the comfortable mat cushion. Dense cushioned support for beginners yoga, and daily practice. Superior joint protection, and unmatched grip and support
- SUSTAINABLE MANUFACTURING: Free from chemical solvents, toxic glues, dyes and phthalates. Manufactured in an energy-efficient facility in Taiwan. Our products are manufactured using simple enduring, natural and whenever possible, renewable materials
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Standard 68 x 24, 5mm thick Steel Grey. Keep your mat in great condition by wiping down after every practice with Mandukas all purpose mat wash. Never soak or submerge your mat in water. Store in a cool, dry place
Is A 3 Mm Or 5 Mm Yoga Mat Better Whats The Difference
The 3 mm yoga mat is better if you are looking for a universal accessory that would suit different types of workouts. The 5 mm yoga mat is better if you require additional support and extra cushioning for the joints .
The main difference between the 3 mm and 5 mm yoga mats lies in the levels of support each can provide. A thicker 5 mm mat creates a more cushioned surface that would be gentler on ones joints. Therefore, people who have sharp pressure points would benefit from a 5 mm yoga mat more.
Tips On How To Choose A Perfect Yoga Mat
Are you in search of a perfect yoga mat, or you just want to know what to look out for when selecting a faithful companion mat on your yoga journey? You are not alone. There are so many options to choose from and this can get confusing, especially if you are new to yoga. However, if you know what to look out for, you can choose the perfect mat for yoga exercises every time.
Read Also: Cool Handstand Poses
Do You Need A Wider Yoga Mat
In terms of width, 24 is really standard across the board. It seems to be a sweet spot for most average sized adults. But there is no shame in wanting some extra space to widen your hands or feet and stretch out a bit. Some brands have emerged with 26 wide mats to give some extra wiggle room.
Best 26 Width Eco-Friendly Mat
Manduka Pro Yoga Mat Premium 6mm Thick Mat High Performance Grip Ultra Dense Cushioning For Support And Stability In Yoga Pilates Gym And Any General Fitness
- PRO YOGA MAT: Professional quality ultra-supportive 6mm thick yoga mat. Perfect for the serious yogi, Pilates, barre, or fitness aficionado. For gym, studio, or home use. Pair with one of our performance towels for extra grip during sweaty sessions
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Discover the legacy- Ultra-dense cushioning provides superior support, stability and joint protection. 6mm thick exercise mat provides cushion and support on any surface
- QUALITY MATERIAL: Beloved by teachers worldwide for nearly 20 years. Meticulously crafted in Germany, from PVC that has been certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX. Responsibly crafted in a sustainable emissions-free facility
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Our PRO series mats are built to last a lifetime. Closed-cell technology material wicks sweat and moisture, and is easy to maintain and clean. To keep mat looking great, use Mandukas Yoga Mat Wash Cleaner
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Standard size- 71 x 26 inches, 6 mm thick Black Color. Each mat is meticulously handmade, so sizes may vary slightly. Offered with a Lifetime Warranty when sold and shipped by Amazon
Recommended Reading: Best Roku Fitness Channel
How To Choose The Right Yoga Mat
Finding a good mat isnt tough , but when youre shopping, keep in mind all of your specific needs. Maybe you find thicker mats more comfortable for joint pain. Maybe perfect alignment is your goal, and you want a mat that provides you with ample space to stretch your legs out in Warrior II pose. And if you sweat a lot during your practice, a mat that reduces slipping might be top of mind.
Next, consider the mats portability. If youre looking for a mat you can carry with youeven if its just into the backyard for some outdoor yogaor a mat compact enough to stow under your bed, you may want to choose one that fits in a yoga strap or rolls up easily to fit inside your yoga mat carrier.
And especially in these stressful times, it can be helpful to think outside the mats functionality for a minute and choose one that just brings a smile to your face with its design and feel. Need some inspiration? Below, yoga instructors and fitness pros walk us through what they consider the best yoga mats for all types of practices and bodies.
All products featured on SELF are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Restorative Or Yin Classes
Restorative classes do not involve the active engagement of your muscles. Instead, they use the force of gravity along with time to bring about deep releases in your muscles and fascia . These classes take place primarily in seated postures or even lying on the ground â it’s affectionately referred to as “nap yoga” â so for this style you’ll want a plush and comfortable yoga mat that is at least 5mm thick, or even thicker, like the 6mm Manduka PRO, our Top Pick for Comfort. But again, most studios offer blankets to provide extra cushion. If you practice mixed styles of yoga, we suggest prioritizing traction over thickness.
You May Like: Yoga Wheel For Lower Back Pain
The Sweet Spot: 4mm Yoga Mats
There are more limited options when it comes to mats made of materials that are kinder to your body and the environment. Luckily, mats that are made from natural materials like natural rubber or cork cannot be too thick, and will therefore keep you more in control of your balance while you practice as well as give you the right grip for not slipping. For instance, DIYogi mats are made from natural rubber, which is a dense natural material extracted from rubber trees. This makes the absolute best material for grip. However, having more than 5mm thickness in natural rubber simply cant be for a yoga mat rubber is a heavy, dense material so a thicker natural rubber mat will be way too heavy. Natural rubber provides enough cushioning at 3.5 4.5mm and has more density than more common mats so there is no need to go for a thicker mat than that. If travelling with your mat to or from the studio or taking it with you on holiday is important to you, make sure you find a mat that is not too heavy and also comes with a carrying strap to help you take it anywhere.
Gaiam Yoga Mat Premium 5mm Print Thick Non Slip Exercise & Fitness Mat For All Types Of Yoga Pilates & Floor Workouts
- LIGHTWEIGHT & THICK YOGA MAT: These durable, yet lightweight exercise yoga mats provide additional cushioning your joints need during any yoga or fitness routine
- STICKY NON-SLIP TEXTURE: Yoga mat features a textured sticky non-slip surface for excellent traction and superior grip and a stylish design to keep you motivated and focused
- NON TOXIC & 6P FREE PVC yoga mat is a healthier choice for you and the planet and free of DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP and DNOP
- FREE YOGA CLASS: Yoga mat purchase includes a free bonus downloadable yoga workout to help get you started
- DIMENSIONS: 68L x 24W x 5mm Thick
Read Also: How To Make A Yoga Mat Strap
Is There A Difference Between A Fitness Mat And A Yoga Mat
Theres an almost overwhelming number of training mats available on the market right now, and most can be split into two categories: yoga mats and exercise mats.
An exercise mat will be slightly thicker and more durable, able to take the strain of dropped dumbbells and rugged footwear as users blitz through HIIT and weights sessions. If that sounds like your bag, our tried and tested edit of the best exercise mats you can buy should be your next port of call.
Yoga mats, meanwhile, tend to be slightly thinner, with most mats between 0.4mm and 0.6mm thick. They will usually be made with slightly more delicate materials like rubber or latex, providing a stickier surface for your hands and feet. Unless the manufacturer says otherwise, it’s best to avoid wearing shoes on these mats and complete your practices bare foot so as not to damage them.
Yoga Mat Materials And Durability
When selecting the material for your yoga mat, you can choose anything from inexpensive PVC to environmentally friendly natural rubber. Which material you choose will affect the mats price, weight, grip and durability. Generally, thicker mats last longer than thinner mats. That said, mat durability is also related to the material the mat is made from.
PVC is a plastic-based material that is highly durable, easy to clean and offers excellent floor grip. However, PVC mats are non-absorbent and can become slippery when you sweat heavily. PVC is latex-free, a benefit to those with latex allergies, however, it is not biodegradable or as environmentally friendly as other options.
TPE is a man-made blend, usually of plastic and rubber polymers. TPE mats may be more environmentally friendly than PVC, and some are fully recyclable. TPE mats are generally less durable than PVC mats of the same thickness, but still deliver good traction.
Eco / naturalmats come from a variety of sources, including natural rubber, organic cotton, and jute. Compared to other options, eco mats are slightly less grippy on the floor, but their natural texture provides traction for your body. Eco mats lack the decade-long durability of PVC, yet they top the list if sustainability is your priority.
Don’t Miss: Calories Burned During Bikram Yoga
Why Trust Verywell Mind
Tori Zhou is the Associate Health Commerce Editor at Verywell. She enjoys staying up-to-date on wellness trends and products, with a focus on holistic health and functional medicine. She continues to test mats at home to see how they hold up after long-term use.
She personally prefers using yoga mats at home and doesnt mind a heavier weight in exchange for solid grip and padding. Having used budget-friendly picks over the years to follow along to cardio and meditation videos, her ideal mat is versatile enough for both yoga and HIIT workouts, sustainably made, and latex-free.
Additional reporting to this story by Rozalynn S. Frazier.
Rozalynn S. Frazier is an award-winning, multimedia journalist with more than 20 years of experience reporting on health and fitness. She is also a NASM-certified personal trainer and an avid exerciser who routinely puts wellness tools and fitness gear through its paces to help access which products are worthy of praise. She has created content for SELF, Mens Health, Real Simple, Health, Essence, Cosmopolitan, Livestrong.com, among others.
Gaiam Yoga Mat Premium 6mm Print Reversible Extra Thick Non Slip Exercise & Fitness Mat For All Types Of Yoga Pilates & Floor Workouts
- Lightweight & thick yoga mat: These durable, yet lightweight exercise yoga mats are extra thick for the additional cushioning your joints need during any yoga or fitness routine
- Reversible: Yoga mat features a reversible design textured sticky non-slip surface for excellent traction and superior grip two design options to suit any mood will help to keep you motivated and focused
- Non toxic & 6p free PVC yoga mat is a healthier choice for you and the planet and free of DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP and DNOP
- Free yoga class: Yoga mat purchase includes a free bonus downloadable yoga workout to help get you started
- Dimensions: 68 inches L x 24 inches W x 6mm Thick
Recommended Reading: Yoga For Toning Body
How Do I Know What Yoga Mat To Buy
In short, you need to look at the following details to decide which yoga mat to buy:
Check Your body Needs: If you have pain in the knees, you need extra thickness mat, if you want to be close and connected to the ground, you need thinner mat.
Mat Size: In addition, you need to check your height to bring a longer or standard size mat, and the width that suits you best.
Transportable Mat: If you have plans to perform activity outside your home, so you need to consider a lightweight mat with either mat strap or mat carrier bag.
Mat Material: Check if you have any sensitivity to a particular material or would like to have a more hygienic mat with latex-free. Other people prefer rubber over PVC. In all respects, you can select the option that suits you best.
Mat Texture: Padded mat is softer and more comfortable than a regular mat. Or prefer the more solid mats, properly so you can master your complex movements and practice.
Non-Slip Mat: It is important for you to have this feature to add control grip and sticky movements, or prefer a free motion with a non-control practice!
Who Shouldnt Buy The Healthyoga Eco Friendly Non Slip Yoga Mat
- Athletes who use their mats for basic stretching or strength work, and dont need alignment lines for yoga.
- Yogis who want a thinner surface that really allows them to feel each pose.
This is a great pick for stability the textured surface will keep you steady throughout workouts and yoga flows alike. Though mats of similar quality may run on the expensive side, this mat wont break the bank.
Recommended Reading: Power Yoga Calorie Burn
Arise Yoga Mat Vs Reversible
The Arise yoga mat is 5 mm thick. Lululemon Reversible mats are also available in this thickness, so there isnt much difference between the two models in terms of support and cushioning.
What makes the Arise stand out from the crowd is its eye-catching design. While most Lululemon Reversible mats feature minimalist designs and come in relatively neutral color pallets, the Arise mat can be a real statement style-wise.
Additionally, the Arise mats by Lululemon are made with added FSC rubber. Its a natural, sustainably sourced material that holds the Forest Stewardship Councils seal of approval and could be an excellent option for environmentally conscious shoppers.
Thick Yoga Mats 6 To 8mm
As you go up on the thickness, they stop being versatile. They come with quite a few advantages but also with an equal number of drawbacks. Its safe to say, thick mats are not for everyone.
Thick yoga mats have a lot of cushions, but they also make you feel slightly distant from the ground. The thick mats are very breathable and efficiently absorb moisture and fluid. The balancing and grip will not necessarily be an issue, its just that you will feel less grounded. At this thickness range, you will mostly find mats of synthetic materials. Synthetic material that pose the threat of health hazard and environmental hazard.
Pure cork and natural rubber yoga mats seize to exists at and beyond 6 mm. Such thick mats of natural rubber and cork become very heavy and lack handling convenience, not to mention the huge cost. Having emphasized the downsides, there is still a need for this thickness depending on certain yoga styles, difficulty levels, and individual physical forms.
Who needs thick mat?
Also Check: Learning Kriya Yoga
Know The Density Before Thickness
As a buyer, you need to be aware of the role density plays hand-in-hand with thickness. Almost every area of practice experience affected by thickness is also affected by density. Whilst thickness of yoga mat is the distance between the base layer and the top layer, density is how closely the mat material fibers are packed within that distance. If the thickness itself generates the base property for your mat, density determines the quality of that property.
For instance, a thick yoga mat means that it will have more cushion. However, the feel of the cushion will be determined by the density. Densely packed materials will give the mat a firm cushioning, whereas, loosely packed materials will give a soft cushioning. When practicing yoga a firm cushion will also give better grip and support.
The bottom line is, your thickness wont mean a thing until it has the right density within. You will find many cheap EVA yoga mats that have low density but decent thickness, and with extensive usage compresses and flattens out. Now, you also dont want mats with very densely packed materials, it will make your mat less flexible, less breathable, and heavyweight. Medium to medium-high dense should be your target, and accordingly, filter out your mats before choosing the thickness.
Sanglobal 100% Cotton Yoga Mat With Natural Rubber Anti Slip Bottom
This cotton based anti slip yoga mat is one of the costliest yoga mat in India.
But this is also the best yoga mat that I have come across. This yoga mat did not slip while I was doing burpees on it and the upper material is very soft for doing yoga asanas as well.
If you are after a premium yoga mat, then this yoga mat is a must buy!
This is the best yoga mat that I have personally used. And I have other mats as well.
This SANGLOBAL yoga mat is one of the premium yoga mat that you can buy online. And that high price justifies the quality that it brings.
- Soft cotton upper material.
- The cotton yoga mat is about 6 feet long, 2 feet wide and 1 inch height.
- The anti slip rubber at the bottom is great and does not move while you workout on the mat.
- No cons at this price point.
Recommended Reading: Hot House Iowa City