Why Trust Verywell Fit
Emily Stone is a Chicago-based journalist specializing in fitness and lifestyle content. Emily uses different mats for different workouts. For yoga and pilates, shes a fan of Alos Yoga Warrior Mat , as it provides excellent traction and stability. Meanwhile, she uses the BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose Yoga Mat for non-yoga workouts because it features extra cushioning for the joints.
Best For Travel: Manduka Eko Superlite Yoga Travel Mat
Lacks cushion of other options
Strong rubber smell
This compact, portable yoga mat weighs only 2.2 pounds and can be neatly folded, taking up as little space as a laptop or pair of jeans. It features a grippy, non-slip surface with a dimpled feel. And since it’s on the thinner side, it can be used on its own or as a hygienic topper over a thicker, communal mat at your gym.
Its made from high-quality, eco-friendly natural rubber that’s biodegradable and made in a zero-waste manufacturing facility. The mat is also 99% latex-free and made without PVC, plasticizers, or harmful dyes. The mat comes in a variety of prints and colors as well.
Thickness: 1.5 mm | Material: Eco-friendly rubber | Size: 71 x 24 in | Weight: 2.2 lbs | Style: Open-cell
How To Choose The Best Yoga Mat For You
When shopping for the best yoga mats, there are a number of factors to consider, starting with size and thickness. Most standard yoga mats are about ¼ inch thick, but you may want a thicker one if you require more cushioning for knees, hips and other joints. Size matters if youre a taller or larger person and dont want to go off mat while you work out.
Other key factors to think about are the durability and stability of the mat. Will the mat hold up under heavy use? Will the texture and surface provide grip and traction? The last thing you want is an injury because the mat slipped or slid under you. And if sustainability and being green are important to you, you should look into the materials of the mat and how and where its made. As for odor and visual appeal, those vary by the mats manufacturer. Some of the best yoga mats have an initial unpleasant smell, which can dissipate after cleaning.
And of course, theres cost. The best yoga mats come in a wide range of prices, from affordable, sub-$20 options to higher-end, brand-name selections. When it comes to cost, you may want to think about how often and how heavily youll use the mat. If youre a dedicated yogi or you want to use a mat for HIIT workouts, you may want to splurge for a tougher mat that can hold up under the conditions.
Get healthy and in shape with our other fitness gear guides:
Apps and exercises
You May Like: How Many Calories Does An Hour Of Yoga Burn
Best Yoga Mat Thickness Guide: How Thick Your Mat Should Be
The thickness of a yoga mat is one of the key considerations for comfortability and durability. It decides how comfortable your yoga practice will about to happen. Especially in those backward bends where your joints pressed against the hard floor surface.
However, choosing an extra-thick yoga mat could add challenges in your balancing posture and it can take much space on folding. What works here is thickness between extra thick and ultra-thin mats!
In this article, we will see the importance of yoga mat thickness, in what different thickness mats come, and how can we decide which thickness is best for you.
Best Overall: Alo Yoga Warrior Mat
Can pick up debris from the floor
Edges remain slightly curled after unrolling
The versatile Alo Yoga Warrior Mat is designed to handle any type of yoga or workout, delivering a stable, slip-resistant base. This 4.2-millimeter-thick mat is formaldehyde- and PVC-free. It’s constructed from sustainably-sourced rubber with a polyurethane leather top layer, delivering ample cushioning to support your wrists and knees throughout a workout.
Sporting an ever-so-chic matte finish, it features a moisture-wicking, antimicrobial surface that prevents sweat from saturating the mat. Simply wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth after use. The mat comes in a range of colors, measures 74.4 x 26.4 inches, and weighs 6 pounds.
Thickness: 4.2 mm | Material: Sustainably-sourced rubber and polyurethane leather | Size: 74.4 x 26.4 in | Weight: 6 lbs | Style: Closed-cell
Read Also: Fit Yoga Pants
Prosourcefit Extra Thick Yoga And Pilates Mat 1″
- Ultra comfort foam high density 1 foam guarantees extra protection for sensitive joints to ensure superior comfort during workouts.
- Water-resistant nbr naturally repels moisture for low-maintenance, wipe with wet cloth/sponge to clean, air dry.
- Non-slip a non-slip surface adheres to the floor, the ribbed design provides grip and stability for a safe practice.
- Versatile ideal for many fitness purposes, such as pilates & yoga, the extra-large 71l x 24w mat fits any user.
- Carrying strap includes a free & convenient mat sling for easy carrying, limited lifetime warranty also included.
Balancefrom Goyoga All Purpose High Density Non
Best cheap yoga mat
Reasons to avoid
The extremely affordable BalanceFrom GoYoga mat has everything you need: double-sided non-slip surface, lightweight, easy to wash and clean and portable . The high-density, ¼-inch foam material ensures comfort for your spine, knees, elbows and hips. The moisture-resistant technology means you can sweat it out without worrying about slipping and injuring yourself. And the BalanceFrom mat is extremely cheap though that means it will flake, tear and fall apart faster than other mats.
I use it for more strength and core movements and also use sneakers on it often, one Amazon reviewer wrote. For the beating that I put on these mats, I honestly think it’s a great price. Another noted, The mat is good quality for a low price, and definitely a worthwhile buy for anyone looking to dip their toes into a yoga practice.
Don’t Miss: Cardio Before Yoga
Unbeatable 8mm Thickness Yoga Mat With Alignment Lines Free Carrying Strap Non Slip Tpe Surface For Women & Men For Fitness Home Exercise
- TPE is RIGHT MATERIAL: Compared with cheaper PVC, NBR material mat with slips, shreds, or smells, TPE is the latest improvement of yoga mat. This is real premium quality with Immediate-grip, Lightweight, Durability. More expensive but worth it.
- COMFORT: Extra thick cushion offers superior elasticity and shock absorption to help protect joints. Double thick dense layer is textured for super grip & antislip. At 72x 24 this is a good sized mats marking it also suitable for the taller and wider.
- BODY ALIGNMENT SYSTEM: The alignment markers etched on the mats which help you deepen your practice. This is actually surprisingly very handy!
- FREE MAT SLING : Only 2.9 lb Light weight. Its ideal for taking to classes in your gym or retreats.
Incline Fit Ananda 1 Thick Mat
The Incline Fit Ananda is one of my favorite mats. Constructed with extra 1 thick padding it is made for comfort and durability. The Ananda is a great exercise mat for home but is also very practical with its easy-carry strap for on the go.
The carry strap is not only an easy way to transport your mat but also functions to secure the mat into place when rolled up for easy storage. This strap can be completely detached from the mat so as not to interfere with your yoga routine in any way.
This workout mat is very safe and with non-slip material will keep you securely on the mat and keep the mat from moving or slipping on bare floors.
If you are concerned about bacteria, germs, or dirt, this 1 inch thick yoga mat can be hand washed with a wet towel and soap and hung to dry.
For health safety reasons, this product is BPA free, has no Phthalate, heavy metals, or latex.
High Quality at a great value. Youll never want to go back to your regular mat after using this one.
TIP: New yoga mats may have a harmless odor fresh out of the bag. To remedy this issue, simply unroll the mat and let it air out for a day or two.
- Dimensions: 72 x 24 x 1 inches
- BPA free
Also Check: How Many Calories Burned During Bikram Yoga
Extra Comfort For Seniors
Stretching is by far one of the most important exercises one can do as you get older. It is impractical for most seniors to perform the same types of physical activities they once enjoyed. And working out with weights or performing various cardio exercises is no longer an option. Stretching however can be very beneficial as it is zero impact and helps keep joints and muscles flexible and strong.
An extra thick yoga mat would help make stretching much more comfortable and far less painful on the bones, joints, and back. And if not for yourself, these mats also make a great gift for active seniors such as Mom and Dad.
Gaiam Athletic Yoga Series Dynamat Xtra
This yoga mat is one of the longest on the list, coming in at an impressive 78 inches. This makes it a great, affordable choice for individuals who are over 5 10 tall. However, the Gaiam Athletic Yoga Series dynaMAT Extra-Large Mat is unfortunately only 26 inches wide, which may not be wide enough for all users.
This fashionable yoga mat is reversible, with a soothing light gray on one side and a darker, tougher gray on the other. The mat also features a non-slip, textured surface that grips the floor securely. It is made of PVC and is free of the six most dangerous phthalates.
- This mat is 5mm thick, making it comfortable for floor work.
- This yoga mat is reversible, with two different shades of gray, and each side provide anti-slip texture.
- At 78 inches long, this mat fits taller athletes comfortably.
- Although it is long, this mat is only 26 inches wide, which may be insufficient for some users.
Read Also: Is Yoga A Sin In The Bible
Yoga Mat Thickness And Weight
Yoga mats range from super thin and compact travel styles that weigh a mere 2 lbs. to cushy quarter-inch beasts that weigh up to 7 lbs.
If youre not sure where to start, choose a mat thats about 1/8-in. thick , a pretty standard thickness. These mats are excellent for those in a strong, flowing practice. They allow solid contact with the floor, which helps with stability during a variety of poses. Compared to thicker mats, they are also less likely to catch and get in your way when you flow from pose to pose.
Thinner mats can help increase stability for styles of yoga with more active poses or balanced, focused poses. Look for mats with textured surfaces to maintain better grip when the poses get more strenuous.
Thicker mats provide extra cushioning and are best for more therapeutic practices. If you enjoy restorative yoga, a style with fewer poses that you hold longer, for example, you may prefer a softer, more cushioned mat. Thicker mats are also more comfortable for forearm and kneeling poses and for yogis with tender knees or achy joints. But they can be more difficult to balance on during standing poses.
If your yoga plans include air travel, look for a travel mat thats specifically designed for portability. Travel mats are very thin and light and pack down smaller than traditional mats, so theyre easy to take along in your luggage. Keep in mind that you will sacrifice some cushioning with a travel mat.
Prosourcefit 1 Thick Yoga Mat
With all the features, available colors, and bargain price, how could I not make this my top choice?
Do you need some extra cushion to help relieve pain on sensitive joints during your yoga or Pilates class? Then look no more, the ProsourceFit 1 thick yoga mat will deliver a pain-free way to perform and perfect your yoga poses every time.
The Prosourcefit is made from high-density 1-inch thick durable foam and provides the necessary support and stability you would expect from any quality yoga mat,
These extra thick yoga mats are available in 6 different colors and come with a free carrying sling for easy portability.
Currently only black & blue available
ProsoureFit: Lifetime Warranty 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Free yoga mat carrying sling
- 6 Colors: Black, Blue, Aqua, Purple, Green, Gray
Don’t Miss: Can You Do Yoga After Botox
We Sell Mats 4 Ft X 8 Ft X 2 In Personal Fitness & Exercise Mat Lightweight And Folds For Carrying
- FOLDING EXERCISE MAT FOR PADDED PROTECTION: We Sell Mats Fitness Gym mat is available in 3 sizes with 2 foam thickness that provides a cushioned, supportive surface that helps protects knees, wrists, elbows & backs for home workouts & bodyweight exercises.
- EASY TO CARRY AND STORE: Lightweight, foldable design makes the mat portable and compact for storage, with carrying handles for convenient on-the-go-fitness for personal trainers, athletes, exercising outdoors or indoor workouts.
- GYM FLOOR MAT FOR PERSONAL FITNESS: Ultra-durable and sturdy cross-linked foam is designed to handle personal fitness and bodyweight exercises such as push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, squats, lunges and more.
- PERFECT FOR KIDS & YOUNG GYMNASTS: Durable and cushioned pads provide safety and reassurance for your young gymnast or cheerleader as they practice tumbling, cartwheels, and back handsprings.
- HASSLE-FREE CLEAN-UP: Unfold over any hardwood floor or flat indoor surface for extra padding needed when exercising. Vinyl surface resists tearing and is easy to wipe clean with a simple soap and water solution.
Ultra Thin Yoga Mats 04 To 2mm
The ultra-thin mats are designed specifically keeping in mind the travel need of practitioners. The cushioning is obviously going to be low with these mats. After few sequences of practice, during the pose hold, you will feel the ground pushing against your joints. You also must not expect much fluid or moisture absorption from these mats. The ultra-thins will quickly get sweaty.
The balance and grip will not be an issue with these mats if the material is natural and dense. On the utmost plus side, you will be able to carry these mats anywhere, in anything. Folding and bending the ultra-thin mats are the easiest, not to mention they weigh the lightest. Note the 0.4 mm mats are extremely thin, and they are only worth considering if the material is something like natural rubber or cork.
Who needs ultra thin Mats?
- These are definitely for people who travel a lot and practice yoga on the go.
- Someone who really wants a natural rubber or cork mat, but you are low on budget.
- Someone with a need for a synthetic material mat, but also wants to minimize the carbon footprint.
- People who mostly practice seated light restorative poses, seated meditative poses, and pranayama.
Don’t Miss: How To Carry Yoga Mat Without Strap
Balancefrom 2 Thick Tri
- 6 feet long 2 feet wide at 2-inch thick firm high density EPE foam is ideal for activities and exercises such as yoga, aerobics, Pilates, MMA and martial arts
- Surface is made of non-toxic lead-free durable 18 oz puncture resistant and non-absorbent vinyl. Moisture resistant technology makes the mat to be easily washed with soap and water
- Exceptional resilience allow you to keep your balance during any exercise style. Caring handles and light weight make it easy to take the mat around
- A foldable, 3 panel design and handles on each mat make it easy to store and transport your mat. Expanded dimension: 6 x 2 x 2 Folded Dimensions- 24 x 24 x 8 inches
Top Reasons To Own An Extra Thick Yoga Mat
So how do you know if you really need an extra thick yoga mat? If you fall into any of the following categories you may want to consider looking into one: larger build or overweight person, seniors, experience joint pain, knee or elbow pain, perform lengthy yoga poses, meditation and deep relaxation routines, Pilates, yoga for pregnancy, physical therapy, or any other exercises and routines where comfort, softness, and additional cushioning are paramount.
Now lets take a closer look at some good reasons why owning an extra thick yoga mat can be beneficial.
Recommended Reading: How Many Calories Burned During Bikram Yoga
What’s The Best Way To Clean A Yoga Mat
When it comes to cleaning your yoga mat, simple is better. Combine warm water and a few drops of your preferred dish soap, spray the mixture generously over the surface of your yoga mat, and scrub it firmly with a microfiber towel. Flip it over and repeat. Finally, rinse both sides of your yoga mat with warm water and hang it up to air dry.
Balancefrom 2″ Thick Tri
- All genuine balancefrom products are covered by a 100% balancefrom satisfaction guarantee and 2-year balancefrom warranty.
- A foldable, 3 panel design and handles on each mat make it easy to store and transport your mat.
- Exceptional resilience allow you to keep your balance during any exercise style.
- Surface is made of non-toxic lead-free durable 18 oz puncture resistant and non-absorbent vinyl.
- 6 feet long 2 feet wide at 2-inch thick firm high density epe foam is ideal for activities and exercises such as yoga, aerobics, pilates, mma and martial arts.
Also Check: How Many Calories Burned During Bikram Yoga
Yoga Mat Materials And Durability
When selecting the material for your yoga mat, you can choose anything from inexpensive PVC to environmentally friendly natural rubber. Which material you choose will affect the mats price, weight, grip and durability. Generally, thicker mats last longer than thinner mats. That said, mat durability is also related to the material the mat is made from.
PVC is a plastic-based material that is highly durable, easy to clean and offers excellent floor grip. However, PVC mats are non-absorbent and can become slippery when you sweat heavily. PVC is latex-free, a benefit to those with latex allergies, however, it is not biodegradable or as environmentally friendly as other options.
TPE is a man-made blend, usually of plastic and rubber polymers. TPE mats may be more environmentally friendly than PVC, and some are fully recyclable. TPE mats are generally less durable than PVC mats of the same thickness, but still deliver good traction.
Eco / naturalmats come from a variety of sources, including natural rubber, organic cotton, and jute. Compared to other options, eco mats are slightly less grippy on the floor, but their natural texture provides traction for your body. Eco mats lack the decade-long durability of PVC, yet they top the list if sustainability is your priority.